Friday, March 19, 2010

Not really a color person...


Until recently, if you'd asked me I would have told you that I'm not really a "color" person. I prefer browns and neutrals, in fact the only color I really am drawn to is blue. Nearly everything I own is blue - which can make coordinating outfits a problem. So, I don't know what the deal is, but scrap quilts seem to be bringing out my colorful side. First there was the whirligig quilt and now this rainbow string quilt. Strangely enough, I'm really loving the color!

I've been stitching on this whenever I got stuck on my thesis. I had the idea to sash it the other day and I definitely think it was the right choice. It's not done yet - I think the border is really going to put this one over the top. Before I can make it I have to cut a 2.5" square out of every fabric I own, no repeats! I think I need about 100 different squares. This is going to be a gift to my scholarship donors. I had another larger, in my opinion much nicer quilt for them nearly finished when it ended in a tragic quilt-tastrophe which I will tell you about another time. I hadn't been able to summon up the will to make another for them, but time is getting short and I think they'll enjoy this one almost as well.

On the home front, the thesis is coming along. Most of the hard work is done, whoohoo! I feel pretty awful today. The blood work indicated that my ferritin was low so I am taking a high dose of iron supplement. I had been taking an antibiotic for my cold but last night I started having a bizarre and painful reaction to it (at least let's hope the nurse was right and that's what caused it, otherwise I'll be heading to the urgent care clinic). So no more antibiotics; my stuffy nose and achy head linger on. Ew.

2 comments:

  1. I love your rainbow string quilt! I can't believe you are not a colour person, because your quilts that I have seen have been in such bold/confident colours.
    I hope you are getting better.
    What is your thesis on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I just realized that I've been replying to you by email and I have no idea if you actually check that email address. Heh, oops.

    The thesis is on credibility in online journalism in the form of news blogs. I did something called an exploratory manifest content analysis and now I'm writing it up. Basically, people trust a blog by Joe down the street more than one by a reporter at the Washington Post, hosted on the Post's website, because Joe uses more "credibility factors". My thesis is basically built on the idea that traditional values of journalistic integrity (being impersonal, unbiased, keeping the reporting process secretive) are incompatible with the online community and journalists have to get with the program or get left behind.

    Thanks for all of your comments, I really appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete