Sunday, November 3, 2013

How I label my quilts

Willit over at Hey Sis, Look What I Made! recently created a linky asking about how people label their quilts.  If you haven't seen it yet you need to go check it out. There are some great ideas; I especially like the one about screen printing quilt labels.


My usual way of labeling quilts is with a twill tape label sewn under the binding on one of the lower corners of the quilt.

For an extra long label I zig-zag stitched two pieces of twill tape together.

I write my labels with Sharpie "Stained" fabric markers, heat set with an iron. I have the four basic colors and they all seem to work well. I haven't had any issues with fading or bleeding in the wash.



I always include the name of the quilt and the month and year. Usually I also include my name.  If the quilt was made by a group of for a particular event I also include those details.


When I run out of twill tape I just do the same thing with a length of fabric sewn into a tube and top stitched along the folded edges.


I really like this method of labeling for its simplicity and ease of use.  Be sure to go to the linky to see how everyone else labels their quilts!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up, Kat. I'm having a great time seeing how everyone labels their quilts - there is so much variety! I really like how non-obtrusive your labels are. They give you the all information you need, without detracting attention from the actual quilt.

    ReplyDelete