Friday, May 17, 2013

Salt Water {Blogger's Quilt Festival}


Hello, and welcome to the Blogger's Quilt Festival! This is my entry for the Two-Color quilt category.  The Salt Water quilt is a traditional Ocean Waves design made from scraps of blue and white remnants.   This quilt was a numbers game, ending up with (864) 2" HSTs to make a 64"x72" quilt.


I opted to quilt it with wave-like wobbly lines.  The quilting helped to smooth out the lines of the design and to keep the many seams of this quilt in check.  The blues in the top of this quilt came exclusively from remnants I have collected over the years. I was amazed at how small of a dent it made in my overflowing stash of blues.


For the backing I found a couple of novelty sailing fabrics on sale. I didn't have enough to cover whole thing, so the backing is pieced. The recipient of this quilt is a sailor, so this fabric was perfect for him.


The blues include a variety of prints and solids, including a couple of shot cottons and a light denim.  I had enough of the denim left to make the perfect binding from.


I was able to sew up this label for the back with a classic quote. It says, "The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears, or the sea."  You can read more about this quilt and the process of making it here.


Thanks for visiting, be sure to check out the other entrants at the quilt festival and vote for your favorites.  You can also see my other entry in the scrap quilt category here.  Enjoy the festival!

14 comments:

  1. I love that quote! The quilt looks great! It's a pattern I've got on my "someday" list. 864 HSTs! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt and I love that quote too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work, a perfect combo:)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Ocean Waves pattern. This quilt is so soothing to look at and I love the perfect matching back with the quote. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt! I love the colors. It gives the impression of a calm sea. And the quote on the back is the perfect touch.

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous... And the quote suits is perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt, and the quote is a great finishing touch! Also love the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love ocean wave quilts, and yours is beautiful. Such a great quote and fun backing fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my very first quilts was an Ocean Waves in yellow, white and scraps. Full size, hand quilted, so I am always partial to this design. I am loving your color selections!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt - Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely -- had not at first realized how many different fabrics are in this one. Great backing too, which adds to the total experience of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your ocean quilt! And the saying is just so true!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous! Denyse Schmidt has an ocean waves quilt in her latest book, and I have had my eye on it for awhile. Hers is a baby quilt, though--your big one is incredible!

    ReplyDelete