I got the Honeycomb quilt finished this week after all! Perfect timing as the linky for the Blogger's Quilt Festival opens this week and I can't think of a better quilt to enter. Remember, this is the quilt I based on the "Honey" design from Elizabeth Hartman.
This is really a 60degree triangle quilt which could be assembled in the normal row method. I've done that before, remember the Squirrely triangles quilt? However, this time I chose to assemble the triangles into hexagons first and then sew those together using this technique from Jacquie Gering. Don't ask me why. It seemed like a good idea at the time and, really, it wasn't too difficult.
I made this quit for my grandparents. I always find it extra intimidating to quilt for people who have very coordinated living rooms, do you? Like, if I make a quilt that isn't in their colors it won't "go" with the rest of the room so they'll feel like they can't use it. I mean, let's face it, highly coordinated limited color schemes isn't my usual style. So, I paid attention last year at Christmas to the colors in their living room and these were what I saw. Let's hope they haven't redecorated this year!
The hexagons are made from a variety of fabrics, prints and solids, and sashed with my all-time favorite manly neutral tan. Obviously there is a honeybee theme going on with this quilt. This will be a Christmas present for my grandpa who keeps bees. That has been his hobby since retirement and he now has a lively side business selling honey. The paper pieced bee pattern came from Badskirt.
When it came to quilt I hit up Google and found this cool honeybee FMQ at the Inbox Jaunt. I mixed it in with a stipple for the quilting. After a few practice bees on the lighter colored fabrics where it didn't show as clearly it became a natural pattern to sew and I was ready for the dark reds and blues.
The backing is a mix of a Moda solid and yardage from Basic Grey's Sweet Serenade line.
I decided to leave the edges uneven rather than cutting any hexagons in half or adding some background-color setting hexies along the edges. Instead I just bound around all the corners. It was time consuming but not very difficult.
The quilt ended up at 66" x 72" or so, decent for a couch quilt. I'll be hanging onto this one until Christmas I suppose. Hard to wait for the surprise!
Linking up to Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side. This quilt is in the Large Quilts Category (just barely!) View my other entry in the "Modern" category here.
Patterns used by Elizabeth Hartman & Badskirt
Pieced by me using various fabrics
Quilted by me on my home machine, bee FMQ design by The Inbox Jaunt
Dimensions ~66"x72" (the irregular edges make it a tad difficult to measure)