Thursday, December 7, 2017

Christmas Gift Idea Round-up

No finishes for me this week. At least none I can show you until after Christmas ;)  Instead I thought I'd do a round-up of some of my favorite Christmas gift ideas and crafts from previous years.  Feel free to share any of your favorites with me in the comments section!


First up, here's a tutorial I posted last year for quick, lined Christmas stockings.  This is a middle-of-the-road stocking that looks really nice but doesn't take too long so you can make a bunch.


Next, here's how I fold my quilts for gifting. It keeps them all bundled up nice and creates a pocket for a card or other goodies.


The best baby bib EVER. Seriously. I've given dozens of these things away and parents love them. It's big enough to cover baby's whole front and ties under their arms so they can't pull it off.  You can purchase the pattern here and see more of my version here. As you can see, I add a pocket to the bottom, which is an  easy modification to the pattern.


Quick, novelty fleece blankets for kiddos are great for gifting.  WOF gives you a 36"x44" blanket with no piecing necessary.


A carpenter's star block done in blue and white can make a snowflake wall hanging or door decoration.  Here's a QAL with 3 different size options for the block and a tutorial to tackle Y seams (or you could make a cheater version with no Y seams).


My favorite holiday fudge recipe. Don't think too hard about the "secret" ingredient, just trust me. This is the tastiest, easiest fudge you've ever had.


Simple machine-applique baby onesies.  I've made tons of these over the years.  Sometimes I buy new plain white onesies and other times I raid Goodwill or a similar store for gently used onesies to fix up. Click on the photo to go to a tutorial and see more examples here and here.


My pillowcase tutorial with a narrow flange.
 

Stuffed dove Christmas ornaments, modified from a Joel Dewberry pincushion pattern.


My go to bag for carrying sewing stuff; I can think of all kinds of hobbyists who might enjoy a bag like this! I think I've made 3.  I use the clear vinyl from packaging (like what a new bed comforter comes inside) to make the clear pockets. Pattern from Atkinson Designs.

I have really enjoyed looking back through the history of my blog to put this post together. Talk about a trip down memory lane! I hope some of these crafty holiday gift ideas inspire you. If you make something based on one of my tutorials I'd love to see it!

Covered in Love if my charity to benefit patients dying in the hospital. If you'd like to join in with Covered in Love's mission you can learn more on the main page or check out the block drive.  The current Covered in Love block drive is a cozy patchwork interspersed with pieced blocks. It will run until the new year if you want to help out.  More info here!



Linking to Finished or Not Friday

3 comments:

  1. Great round-up, Kat! I'm in the middle of making a set of placemats and napkins as a gift. I'm using wine-themed fabrics for friends who are really into wine, so it should be well-received :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful looking gifts for the holidays. My curiosity was peaked with the Mac & Cheese in the fudge but the link to the recipe didn't work for me. I've made a couple of neck pillows this year for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great gift ideas. I really like the quilt folding idea. It makes a lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete