This quilt really hasn't been featured on the blog much, mostly because I made it so quickly (as opposed to the designs that linger on the design wall for weeks.) I sewed this top in just 2 days.
I have been collecting batik fabrics for years, but doing it casually. I pick them up when I see them in a remnants bin or grab bag, but haven't been seeking them out. I had no idea I had this many until I started cutting them for this quilt! And of course, I could make several more of these quilts and still have plenty left. ...I swear fabric multiplies in our stash when we aren't looking.
I quilted it all over with FMQ swirls in a gold/tan colored thread and used the same thread for the back. This is a design from Angela Walter's book that I have used on several quilts. I am still not really happy with my skills on this one, but it gets better every time.
|Wilson assisted with quilting.|
My mom has already claimed this one. She said the colors "soothe her soul," and I figure I better not get in the way of that. :)
Along with a finished quilt, this week you get some unsolicited info about me! I saw this on The Floral Suitcase and it was too much fun to pass up.
1. I prefer scrap quilting, feel free to send all your scraps to me!! I just find scraps more inspiring than whole cuts. I think I like the challenge of making something useable and pretty with limited amounts/shapes of fabric.
2. I never press if I can help it and I rarely pin. I also avoid trimming my blocks if I think I can get away with it.
3. My attitude toward mistakes is "I'll do it better next time." I'm a firm believer that my quilts will never be viewed as close up as I am when I'm making them again. As long as it will look fine from a few feet away I leave it in.
4. I have a major weakness for blue and green. Like I probably have more blue and green fabrics than the rest of my stash combined.
5. I really don't like the Cotton+Steel fabrics much... except for maybe a couple of prints. Don't like Kaffe at all and don't care much for Liberty either! Go figure.
6. I love wonky and modern, especially putting a modern spin on traditional designs. Also, see above-- I don't pin. I was made for wonky quilting.
7. I quilt starting from one corner and moving around the quilt clockwise til I've done the edges, then do the center last.
8. I use flat sheets from WalMart for quilt backings. And you know what? They make awesome quilt backs!
9. I have never prewashed a fabric in my life, and in 5 years of quilts I have only had one run. Besides, I really like the krinkle quilts get from the dryer when all the fabrics shrink up.
10. I hate quilting FMQ feathers. I don't mind seeing them on other people's quilts, I just don't like using them myself. It feels so... Victorian or something. Like only lady perfume and pink crushed velvet and lace. Not the vibe I want for my quilts.
So, that was fun! What about you, any secrets to share?
Linking to Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and 13 Spools.