Saturday, September 5, 2015

Supersized Block Top

I saw a cool new block this week on Tish's Adventures in Wonderland! It's a really pretty, detailed block she's calling Watermelon Taffy. You can see all the cutting instructions and the tutorial here.  Although this block would make a stunning quilt as is, it would take me a few years to finish a quilt where each 12" block has 152 pieces! (Did I add that up right? Double checked it, WOW!)


Since I love the block I decided to scale it up to make a whole quilt from just the one block. Tish's original block used a 1" base to make a 12" block, my scaled up top uses a 6" base to make a 72" quilt.

"Mom, can I help?"
I'm not totally in love with the colors I used; I was limited by which fabrics I had large enough cuts of in my stash. Hoping it grows on me in the quilting phase.  This will be another one for Covered in Love.

Linking to Judy's Design Wall Monday.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea scaling it up so you could give it a go and not turn it into a UFO. 152 pieces in one block!! That's such a lot of pieces !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE what you did with it! Was there really 152 pieces? I didn't even keep track. I might be crazy :) Congrats on piecing it. I'm hoping to post it as a 36" wall hanging very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt! I love both yours and Tish's. 152 pieces are a lot for a block, but it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors! Great way of doing a project you wanted to do but in a way you can do it and finish it! :)

    ReplyDelete