Thursday, September 21, 2017

The Pros and Cons of Seeing 20/1000

No finish for Covered in Love this week, I've been too busy getting ahead on everything so I can do nothing but sleep in a dark room over the weekend.  I'm finally having surgery to correct my lousy vision (not LASIK, but something similar called PRK). 

I've worn either contacts of glasses since I was about 12 and my vision without them is terrible, way beyond legally blind. I'm excited about the procedure, of course. Well, not so much the procedure as the results of it.  There aren't many advantages to being this nearsighted, but I admit there is one thing I'll miss. 


Since I started quilting I've enjoyed being able to take my glasses on and off as I arrange things on the design wall.  Take the flying geese above, for instance.  This is a pretty rough layout, just for me to get the idea. I was going for Dutchman's Puzzle blocks set on point.  It's not obvious, but I've got my geese oriented wrong.  Check out the image below.


See how the correct blocks jump out at you right away? And the color problems are much more obvious, too.  I've heard of people using photoshop to manipulate photos of their design wall to look for color/pattern issues, meanwhile I've been able to just pop my glasses off and check things out.

Anyway, obviously it's a small price to pay to not having to wear glasses or contacts any more and I hope by mid next week I'll be back and better than ever!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your surgery .. you must be very excited to get this done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with your surgery and enjoy your "lazy" weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Lasik in 2000, and the one thing I miss is taking off my glasses and admiring the lights on the Christmas tree. They'd get big and fuzzy and beautiful!

    Best of luck with your PRK. Sean had Lasik in one eye, and PRK in the other, so he had halos in one and stars in the other for awhile. Very little discomfort, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wearing glasses since I was in the fourth grade so I know what you mean about being able to just whip them off to see how things look on the design wall. I hope your surgery goes smoothly and gets you the results you expect. Don't try to do too much too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for a successful surgery & speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete