Friday, November 15, 2013

For the Boys {Quilt-as-You-Go Simple Sampler}

Happy Friday everyone!  Today's finish is my first version of the Quilt-as-You-Go Simple Sampler. This one is done is boy-friendly bright colors.


If you haven't already heard, I am making a girl version next and creating a series of tutorials as I go so you can make one yourself, if you wish! The index post, along with a link to the first block tutorial is here. Future block tutorials will go up every Monday.

Dutchman's Puzzle block

I created this quilt in order to use up my stash of 2.5" scraps while showcasing some traditional blocks.  I decided to do it Quilt-as-You-Go style because I've been wanting to try that for a while and it gave me to opportunity to try some FMQ without the bulk of a whole quilt.

Broken Dishes block

Unfortunately, there aren't too many FMQ designs that are not girly AND within my skill level, so I limited it to some squiggles in the sashing.  No such problem for the girl version of this quilt, so I am having a blast with FMQ fills.


I used the same solid as in the front of each block for the back and the large patchwork effect on the back of the quilt came out great!  The quilting really looks cool from the back, too.


The blocks measure 16.5" so the quilt finished just under 50" square, perfect for a little boy!

Churn Dash block

If you're interested in making your own quilt like this one, visit the Quilt-as-You-Go Simple Sampler index post here and watch this space every Monday for new tutorials!



Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday.

5 comments:

  1. I love this! Great colors, and the quilting is fabulous. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a FUN quilt! I've been wanting to try QAYG, and this just sealed the deal... THANK YOU for the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed... truly a fun quilt! The backing is pretty awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The back is a quilt in and of itself! Good job!

    ReplyDelete