Friday, December 27, 2013

Bird Houses UFO finished!

At long last the Bird Houses quilt is finished. I started this one sometime last summer.  I first blogged about it at the beginning of June.  The top got done pretty quickly, but for some reason stalled on the quilting.  I finally sat down to watch Four Weddings and a Funeral and sew and got it DONE the other night. And done is better than perfect!


This is a small quilt, only about 45"x60" or so, and I just did simple straight line quilting on it.


I had a bird theme for the fabrics. Some of my very favorites are in here, and I love the overall color combo.  The Joel Dewberry Aviary fabric came in a scrap pack from Hawthorne Threads.  I've only ever bought one, but it was loaded with generous cut of some great fabrics.  (PS- these are on sale, I just grabbed 3!)


I planned all along to bind this quilt with a bright turquoise solid.  I actually had the strips cut out sometime back in the summer but by the time I actually finished the quilt I'd used them all in other projects. Fortunately, I keep plenty of that color on hand.


Maybe my favorite part of this quilt is the back. I created a little medallion from all the bonus HSTs generated by making the angles on the bird house roofs.


Finished and washed and ready to give, nothing feels better than that!  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!

Linking up to Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and TGIFF at Sew Fresh Quilts.

10 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous finish! Your use of the hst's on the backing is brilliant. Those fabrics are all sew pretty and the blue binding frames it just right! I would love it if you would be so kind as to link up on my blog today. I am hosting the Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday. Please visit me at http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the HST on the back! I think that is the perfect finish for this quilt. Well done with all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty!...gotta love a beautifully pieced back, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this and the back was such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the back of the quilt! I'm always nervous to piece a backing, but you've a fabulous job. And Hawthorne threads? Love them, too! I'll have to snag one of their scrap bags. Best, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the back too, I'm a real fan of pieced backs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute and I love the back! It's like it's own little quilt. And the quilting shows up so great on the back too! And I always say Done is better than perfect too! Glad to know I'm not alone in that thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just followed your blog! Please come follow us back! Thanks.

    quackadoodlequilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete