Thursday, February 27, 2014

Country Home Quilt Finished

It's a happy Friday and I have a finish to show! The Country Home quilt is finished and ready for action. (Look! I mitered my borders and everything!)


This is the largest finish I have had in a while.  Each of the blocks measures 16", made from the ingenious pattern that Mihaela put together.  She based the design on traditional Romanian needle point.  You can buy the pattern on Craftsy (and you really should.) The blocks are fun, quick, and go together perfectly.


I chose to make the pattern from scraps rather than solids, because as we all know I apparently live in a scrap factory.  It was fun to get away from my normal color scheme (I like blue... a lot) and work with some warm, Fall colors instead.


Everything in the top, except for the muslin sashing between the big blocks and the solid color borders around each block, came out of my scrap bins.  The piano key border came out of my string box. Of course I made too much, so the extras have ended up in String 'Splosion which is being quilted now.


The quilt measure 67"x82", appropriate for a twin bed or a large throw.  It makes me think of cold nights in the mountains and snuggling up in front of a warm fire with hot chocolate, so in the spirit of extra snuggliness I went with flannel for the back.


I found the perfect flannel print with all the right colors and Eastern European looking designs but there was only a yard left on the bolt. That ended up being the center of the back with a nice brown flannel all around it.  I love how the quilting shows up on the back of the quilt.


I used my walking foot to stitch in the ditch of the sashing around the big blocks and anchor everything, then used FMQ on the rest of the quilt. 


I made straight-ish lines in the border, a wishbone in the solid-color borders of each block, and a tight stipple in the scrappy-colored portion of each block.  The quilt has already had its inaugural wash for extra-super krinkliness.


This quilt is waiting for its forever home. For now it is keeping my bed toasty warm through this last bit of winter. Wilson approves of it :)  Don't forget to go check out Mihaela's pattern on Craftsy. It is seriously an excellent pattern, very well written, and reasonably priced.  If you do buy the pattern and make your own versions of this block I'd love to see them!


Enjoy your weekend! Linking up to Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! I didn't realize those blocks were so big, it just makes me like it even more ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so pretty -- I love the scrappy blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Kat! Love it! It's on my Pinterest board now.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt - I like the out of the ordinary block and 16" woohoo - would make a lap quilt in an instant. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete