|Block tutorial available here|
For the quilt each circle member made (2) 10" finished blocks (and a few made extra) to give us a 50"x60" finished quilt. I broke my own cardinal rule of quilt bees with this one: never request a block that will rely on seams matching up. But the girls in my group are superstars and it worked out fine!
I quilted the top with my walking foot with lines that follow the design. It's easiest to see from the back. Thread choice for quilting was an issue with so many different fabrics in the top, I was afraid that highly contrasting thread would be distracting and detract from the illusion.
After researching I decided to try invisible thread and bought Sulky's clear poly. I had read before that some invisible threads have issues with heat from an iron or the dryer. Although I never iron my finished quilts I do dry them. However, the Sulky thread had good reviews and after a couple trips through the dryer seems none the worse for wear. I have even found a few stray thread tails on my ironing mat and they don't seem to be affected by the heat.
Aesthetically the invisible thread worked perfectly. It seems to take on the color of whichever fabric is passes over.
Backing is the IKEA numbers print again. I figured it was perfect for a math-centric quilt. I also included the 4 extra quilt blocks I had and pieced the label right in.
This quilt will soon by on its way to My Very Own Blanket, a charity that gives blankets to children in the foster system. Thanks as always to the ladies of the Nurture Circle, this was a fun one!
Linking to Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.