Thursday, September 12, 2013

Springtime Riot {do. Good Stitches August Quilt}

The August quilt from the Nurture Circle of do. Good Stitches is done!  I am so impressed with the ladies this month for getting their blocks done so quickly and making such fantastic blocks!!  My work schedule looks pretty nasty for the next month and a half, but since everyone was so on the ball I was able to take advantage of my last long weekend to get this baby done.


You can see the tutorial I asked the ladies to follow here.  I asked for two-tone string blocks of blue/yellow/grey and low volume fabrics.  Everyone did such a good job of picking lovely, modern, fun fabrics for their blocks.  It's no secret that I love a scrappy quilt and this one is just exceptionally nice.  I enjoyed finding new favorite fabrics in every block as I was quilting it.


I decided to stipple the quilt because I felt like it needed some curvy, free motion quilting to not compete with the straight lines of the strings.  It also needed something fairly dense to reinforce all those seams and tame the seam allowances.


My FMQ has come a long way since it was my New Years Resolution 9 months ago (9? Seriously, where does the time go?!).  I still have plenty to learn, of course.  Some of my curves are not as smooth as I would like, and I had to cross over myself in a few places.


I decided to go low-volume for the binding.  I had the perfect blue and yellow polka dot fabric in my stash already. I didn't have quite enough, so I made up the difference with another soft white and blue fabric.  I machine sewed both sides of the binding for strength and speed.


As you know I like to name my quilts. This one was a little stubborn.  The colors and patterns together are so riotous, so I was thinking about String Riot.  From there I got to Springtime Riot, because of the spring-y colors.


I used Hobbs Heirloom Natural cotton batting.  I love that batting, it keeps the quilt very light and with a nice drape even with such heavy quilting.  I had this IKEA fabric in my stash, which made the perfect backing.  Added a label under the binding and this quilt is ready to go to a new home.  We send our quilts to "My Very Own Blanket" a charity which gives quilts to children in foster care.


With (20) 12.5" blocks the quilt finished at 48"x60" before washing.  I'm sure it's a bit smaller now since it crinkled up so nicely after a wash and dry.  I'll be getting this little quilt in the mail to its new home soon, where it will be on to the arms of a child.  I admit, it's more difficult than usual to let this one go :) It's become a personal favorite.

Thanks you Nurture Circle ladies!! You made another wonderful quilt. 



I'm linking up to Finish it Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts.

7 comments:

  1. It turned out SO lovely! I just love the colors and layout. It will be such a special quilt for some very lucky little person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, totally gonna have to make one. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scraptacular. I love the colour play with the yellow and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, every time I see the title on my blogger feed the "Zuit Suit Riot" song starts playing in my head. It's like a double win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out so wonderful! I know it will be loved wherever it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the way you put those together, too. It reminds me of city blocks (sideways, of course!) and it has so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this quilt, I wasn't sure if I would like it when I was making the blocks, but it became one of my favorites, thanks to your foresight to see the whole project. And that backing - just perfect! Thanks for being one of our quilters and making this project come to life, somewhere a child is very happy!

    ReplyDelete