Thursday, June 26, 2014

Finished Split Nine Patch Quilt

Another Friday, another finish :)  This is the Split Nine Patch I have been working on for a few weeks.  It was based on this one from a do. good Stitches circle.  It has already been gifted and is in use at its new home!


This is the second quilt I have made with this color scheme (first was the Squirrely Triangles quilt) and I am starting to run low on these colors.  I still haven't grown tired of it, though.


This quilt includes one of my favorite prints of all time, this one from Tula Pink's Saltwater collection, along with a lot of scraps from Hawthorne Threads scrap packs.  Happily, all the white in this quilt was gathered from scraps!


I quilted it with what is rapidly becoming one of my favorite FMQ designs, the square spiral from Angela Walter's book.  It makes a good alternative to stippling for equally dense and quick quilting.


The quilt finished at a little over 65" square.  I had initially intended to make it bigger but thought better of it, so the last 3 nine patches ended up on the back. I think I like the back almost as well as the front!


It's bound with a yellow solid, washed, dried and ready for use.
 

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday.

9 comments:

  1. It's so bright and happy! The quilting is so balanced with the top! I love it!
    And you had all the needed white from scraps! Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these colors too. Lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! Love the pattern, I think Carla linked to mine for the original. Great use of colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen this pattern before, I really like how it breaks up the 9 patch. Also, a big fan of your color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your squirrely triangles...LOVE this one too! Scrap pack, of course! MUST try one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great twist on the 9-patch. Love the wonky window pane look the white creates. I think the back looks pretty cool, too. It's like having 2 quilts in one. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great. The colours are very summery - sand and water. And I really like it when the back of a quilt looks equally as good as a quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how a simple cut and restitch freshens up the 9-patch. Did you come up with this? Kudos to you!!! I am so tempted to stop everything I am doing right now to try this out. I am your newest fan!!!

    ReplyDelete