Sunday, November 3, 2019

Nov/Dec Covered in Love Block Drive

Quilters, welcome to the last Covered in Love block drive of 2019! For anyone who is newer around here, CiL runs block drives every 2 months to make quilts that be given to families in the hospital grieving the loss of a loved one.


I know the holidays are a busy time of the year when it's harder to commit time to these kind of charity drives. That's ok! For those of you who can still participate I picked a simple scrap buster block in winter colors.

Design-Seeds "Holiday Tones"
Start by pulling scraps in the color palette above. (Sea foam green, navy blue, true blue, light icy blues, and snowy off whites, plus some greys.)  You can see my fabrics below; I had more blues than the other colors.  Use what you have in your stash, that's what will make the quilts unique.


From your scraps cut 2.5", 4.5" and 6.5" squares. I basically cut the largest square I can from each scrap. After you have a good handful of squares begin playing with the arrangement to make a 12.5" block.


The simplest block you could make would by (4) 6.5" squares, the block with the most pieces would by a 36-patch made from 2.5" squares. I'm ok with a few of those, but I think the most interesting blocks will be the ones made from a mix of sizes arranged in different ways.


As you can see, there are lots of ways to arrange and rearrange various sizes of scraps. After you cut some scraps and start playing with them you'll be able to figure out if it would by helpful to cut one or two more of a particular size.


(Edited to Add: View some finished quilts here)

Anyone can participate in this drive and you can make as few or as many blocks as you like. Just follow the tutorial and get them in the mail by the end of December. Email CoveredinLoveTx@gmail.com for the mailing address.  Thank you to the many of you who participate in the block drives on a regular basis; Covered in Love is on track for 65 quilts from the first 4 block drives this year!

13 comments:

  1. Nice block, Kat! I think I will do my fabric pull this week and bag up my choices for the next Sew Day with my Bee. Thanks for choosing and easy block for the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful palette! These will be gorgeously scrappy and soothing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, if I understand correctly, we are to arrange our block in any configuration we like, using those sizes? Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like another fun block to make & with variety as to how we put them together. I'll start looking to see what I have in that pretty color pallet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of all the arrangements you showed, I really like the finished block one the best, and can imagine it would make an interesting quilt, turned this way and that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely look through my stash to see if I can find enough of these colors. I too love that quilt with the pineapple in the middle and the yellow binding. She does an amazing job and it makes me feel great that there is such a wonderful way to use orphan blocks. I have a couple that I haven't figured out how to use that I will send with my next contributions to go with ones that you already have. Thanks so much for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, these are not in my stash, so I'll go through my scrap piles and send orphan blocks, if that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My realization of the morning waz that my accuquilt 6.5 square die was not cutting true 6.5" according to my rulers. Lots of ripping ensued......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it was only 4 blocks completed so they are all unsewn now. I will ruler cut more 6.5" squares and be back in business soon. I can save the too small ones for a quick baby quilt i think.

      Delete
    2. Joanne,
      I have been thinking about getting one, but you have me wondering since you said they aren't the correct size do you have this problem with other dies?

      Delete
    3. JAnet, sorry to take so long to reply. I think I figured out what I did wrong. I had just folded an FQ in several layers and laid it on there. I think the layers probably shifted? I will test the die again with separate pieces of precut fabric. I mostly cut smaller shapes with other dies and never had a problem.

      Delete
  9. Kat, I am going to put my blocks together into a throw size and ship it to you as a finished quilt. I almost have enough made, and it makes sense to just ship it once and done. I will probably not finish it til January though, with the Quiltville Mystery starting soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Going through my scraps tonight. I love the versatility of this block so much.

    ReplyDelete