Thursday, January 21, 2021

Scrappy Scrappy

Happy Scrappy Weekend, quilters! These 3 quilt tops were sent in by Erin and quilted by me this week.

They are all ready to be taken up to the hospital with the next delivery for Covered in Love, which will be a big one!

apologies for the incredibly blurry photo!

Erin has sent in some beautiful tops to CiL before and I especially love her scrappy ones. 

Covid is still raging here and our chaplains are providing quilts to as many of the families as we can.  Infection precautions and the sheer number of deaths unfortunately makes it difficult. 

In my nursing career, I can say without a doubt that Covid nursing is the hardest thing I have ever done.   My previous nursing experience was largely with cardiac patients; if they were going to destabilize and become dangerously ill it often happened very quickly, within minutes to hours.  With the Covid patients we can often, with great accuracy, predict which ones are going to end up intubated in the ICU and dying days before it happens.  We watch them get inexorably worse, requiring more and more oxygen, kidneys failing slowly, day by day despite all interventions, until inevitably off they go. With other diseases when you see a patient declining you can usually stop it, but not with this.  

I'm used to patients declining and dying; but after a long disease course not after a brief respiratory illness.  Please continue to wear you masks, avoid indoor spaces with crowds, and get vaccinated as soon as you can.  This is a terrible disease that kills many and causes lifelong organ damage to many more who will continue to die in the coming years.  

Handsome Fudge says, "Wear your @!#$ mask!"

Covered in Love is a 501(c)(3) charity that donates quilts to patients dying in the hospital, over 700 so far! The Jan/Feb drive is going on now.  Check out the main post HERE if you want to get involved. 


Linking to  Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Finished or Not Friday

9 comments:

  1. Ugh. I can't imagine being a nurse through all the covid crap! I'm retired for years now and would not want to be in the midst of what you are. Thank God for nurses still willing to work. What size quilts do you normally give? I'm trying to use up some stash and might be able to make a couple rather than just blocks. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love color, but I also love quilts made from shirts. These will be wonderful cozy quilts to comfort families who have lost loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These quilts are beautiful - hopefully they lift your spirits after a hard nursing day. I just can not imagine watching this happen to people and knowing its the body... nothing you can do... Great big Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat, as always you put it all into perspective. Wear a mask, wear a mask!! Don't take this pandemic lightly or think that it's over! I got my 1st vaccine this week and am feeling so grateful for all the scientists who worked at warp speed to make this possible. We're not out of the woods yet but it's a first big step! Now, as for quilting...we are eternally grateful for your continued energy to keep CIL going and not losing faith as you've dealt with Covid patients and the stress of seeing so much loss and illness in a short timespan. I admire you greatly and feel so blessed to know you, albeit virtually!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, my gratitude to you for your valiant efforts in nursing Covid patients despite the risk to your own health and the emotional toll this pandemic is taking. I cannot fathom why people remain so convinced that this virus is not dangerous. My step-daughter and her family live in Spring, near Houston and she says the majority do not wear masks and continue to socialize. Thank you for all you are doing for both your patients and through CiL for their families. I've got two string blocks done and will do a few more.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you for what you do day to day. But most of all I love you for your honesty of what the dangers are of this pandemic--WEAR A MASK !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Kat, I've always been a believer in the masks even when Dr. Fauci first started saying they didn't help. I believe people think that just because they haven't gotten Covid-19 yet that the worst is over & they won't get it. That's why you see so much socializing again & no masks. Thank you for your honesty in this whole pandemic time as you are seeing & living it first hand & up & close. Please stay safe. Hugs to you for all you do & hugs to the receivers of all the quilts you distribute. You are the BEST! Thanks to Erin for those beauties. I especially love the blue one.
    Fudge looks so formal in his pretty bow tie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful, scrappy quilts! Many thanks to Erin! Hang in there, Kat, and stay as safe as you possibly can. You're in my thoughts daily!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your work to help those that can be helped and ease the suffering for those who will not be going home. I come for the quilts, but this reminder of the effects of this illness are also good. Wishing you a good week.

    ReplyDelete