Thursday, April 29, 2021

Star Quilts and the May-June Block Drive

Details about the May-June block drive at the bottom of the post.

It's getting a little closer to summer time everyday and I have more red, white, and blue stars quilts to share.  These always remind me of July and summer BBQs.  

These first four quilts were tops made by Gail and quilt by Linda on her longarm.  I visited Chaplain Perry at the hospital today and he again mentioned that the red, white, and blue or patriotic quilts are usually the ones that first grab people when they look at available quilts. 

These past 2 months, while I directed you all toward the H2H drive and helpers like Cynthia , Pam, and Linda have been working on past block drives, I have been focused on getting donated tops finished.  

The best I can tell I have quilted 35 tops into finished quilts in the past 2 months! I still have a few more tops to go, but I'm way more than halfway to clearing out my shelves.  

Since I'm on a roll finishing tops and I'd like to get the January string quilts done, too, I asked a volunteer who has helped to finish block drive quilts before if she'd like to be a block drive angel for May-June.

(These last 3 star quilts were pieced and quilted by Cynthia from Quilting is More Fun Than Housework using blocks from the block drive. You can read her posts about them and see more pictures here and here.)

Tammy from Travelin' Sew I was gracious enough to take on the challenge of guest-hosting the May-June block drive for Covered in Love! You can see some of the quilts Tammy has previously quilted for us at this link.  

Tammy has chosen a large eye-spy block in calming sand and sea colors, which you can see on her blog.  

In case anyone is new here, we run block drives every couple months where anyone can participate and sew as many or as few blocks as you like! Finished blocks are combined into quilts which are given to patients with terminal illness and their families.  All the quilts in the post came from the 2020 July-August drive.

Please leave a comment on Tammy's blog or email me at CoveredinLoveTx@gmail.com to get the address to mail blocks for this block drive.  It's a different place than usual since we are sending them to Tammy's house. You should be sending to a Kansas address, not a Texas one (although if any stray blocks find their way here I'll pop them in a box and redirect them, no problem!)

My quilt Quality Controllers have been working overtime.

Covered in Love is a 501(c)(3) charity that donates quilts to patients dying in the hospital, over 700 so far! During May/June Tammy is hosting our block drive on her blog.  Check out the main post HERE if you want to get involved. 

Linking to  Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Finished or Not Friday

5 comments:

  1. Gotta LOVE an easy block, Kat!! Best of luck on finishing the tops still on your shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's raining here today so it's a good day to go through my stash & see what I have in the way of sand & sea colors. So thankful for the helpers you have. It's nice that Tammy is taking on the guest-hosting duties for the May/June block drive.
    Sundae looks a bit tired from all that overtime work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 35 finishes, wowsers! You're really on a roll. Many thanks to Tammy for hosting the new block drive; looks like a fun block. All these gorgeous R/W/B quilts are a perfect visual for starting to think about summer. Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all great - but the two with the wonky circle stars ( my description - have no idea the name) are SO cool!!! I like that block!!

    ReplyDelete