Thursday, February 22, 2024

More orphan blocks and their friends



Hello, friends! Louise here to share a few more quilts made with your orphan blocks. Let's get started with a square quilt for the NICU. Lots of bright colors in this one! The house block is my favorite. The corner blocks were donated as triangles made of the pretty strips and I added the blue. They make a nice frame for the whole piece.


Blue and yellow is such a classic combination, don't you think? Many of the pinwheels arrived as half square triangles, perhaps made with a charm pack. The whale and dolphin panels make a nice focal point, and I hope this will appeal to someone who loves marine mammals!


A close up of the border fabric which looks like seaweed, so the critters will feel at home.


Most of these blocks had a tiny bit of turquoise in them, so I sashed them with tiny turquoise strips. That made the binding about the same size for a cohesive look. The center cat is a little panel. So sweet!


Here's another super bright one! I admit I'm a big fan of saturated colors so these blocks were really fun to work with.


On the back is this fun llama fabric from Spoonflower. So cute! However, I don't love the price and texture of their fabric, so I won't be buying any more of this. Have you ever tried Spoonflower fabrics? What did you think of them?


These blocks all had creamy off-white fabrics and more muted colors, so I put them together to be best friends. A cream background quietly unites them. Do you recognize the block in the second to bottom row, second from the right? That's from a block drive about five years ago! 


I put a number of different "outdoorsy" fabrics on the back for a more masculine feel. 


This one is also bright, but I limited the color palette to mostly gold, magenta, turquoise and black. It waited a long time half finished in my stash until the magenta plaid border arrived. My favorite block in this quilt is the upper right corner. Some of that star is folded over the railing in the photo, so you'll have to trust me that its a super cool block!

Many thanks to the dozens of folks who donate their blocks to Covered in Love. And thanks again to Kat who takes photos of my quilts.






 

8 comments:

  1. Louise, you do amazing things with those orphan blocks! I love that one with the flower blocks in it. I'm working on an embroidery project that I purchased from Spoonflower. It's working just fine for the embroidery, but you're right, it doesn't feel like quilt shop fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I'm glad to hear that the flower block quilt isn't too crazy-busy. Sometimes I wonder if my pieces cross over that line :)

      Delete
  2. So glad I stopped by today to see this lovely variety of quilts! I love the flower block one the most, and also the marine mammal one, but they all have such vibrancy!
    I made a whole baby quilt of Spoonflower fabric about six years ago -- I designed a group of matching fabrics based on wild animal pictures. I ordered them to be made up on Kona cotton and it was really heavy and hard to work with. The whole thing faded terribly within two years. I thought maybe it was my mistake for choosing Kona cotton instead of sateen, but it sounds like the problem might exist with their other fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little worried about fading. Your matching wild animal fabrics sound great! I wish there was a better way than Spoonflower to see them printed and in use.

      Delete
  3. So inspiring! I've gotten two ideas for my charity quilts from this batch of orphaned block quilts. They are so amazingly. Thank you, Louise!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louise, you've done it again with those beautiful orphan blocks! It's amazing what you can do with the blocks. Thanks for all your finished quilts for CiL.

    ReplyDelete