Thursday, April 11, 2024

String Block Drive Wrap Up



The last (I think) of the 2022 String Block quilts are all done! Dee, a wonderful longarm quilter I met locally, took the last 7 tops off my hands to quilt.


Dee is excited to practice with her longarm and I am thrilled to have her help! She ended up using this nice wavy design on a lot of the quilts. 


Always fun eye-spy on these quilts. I found an octopus and a fox right next to each other. 


Our little corner of Texas was square in the path of the eclipse this week and got a full 4 minutes of totality.  Both hospitals had little events and I saw lots of pictures online of nurses and patients watching.


I did NOT work this past week and got some much-needed chores done.  My parents and I watched the eclipse from the yard; it was a very surreal experience! There was concern that we would be clouded over, but it was perfect. 


It wasn't as dark as night during the totality, more like dusk, but it was enough to get confused frogs croaking and owls hooting. It also got noticeably cooler.


Covered in Love continues to grow and bless many grieving families at 4 East Texas Hospitals. We're up to over 1400 quilts distributed!


This turned out to be a huge block drive. You can see the state map and totals below.  78 quilters made 28 quilts! 


In addition to the blocks, generous fabric donations allowed me to make all the backings for these.


I have to admit, this bright one might be my favorite. 


Massive thank you to Dee for helping to finally finish off this drive, only 2 years after it started, and thanks to all 78 of you who contributed!



Covered in Love is a 501(c)(3) charity that donates quilts to patients dying in the hospital, over 1400 so far! The April-June block drive is live now.  Check out the main post HERE if you want to get involved.
 

3 comments:

  1. I remember this drive & what a success it was. I loved seeing the map of the participating states! Looking forward to someday seeing that state map filled in completely with red. Thanks to Dee for a splendid job in quilting all those tops for you & I can't wait to see what she does in the future for CiL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got to see the eclipse! What a beautiful, finished batch of quilts. Dee did a wonderful job quilting them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore string quilts! The vibrancy of colors and fabrics is so pleasing to the eye. I could spend hours looking at the fabric details.

    ReplyDelete