Thursday, May 16, 2024

Baby Goodies

Happy Friday! I have some personal projects to show for the first time in a long while. These baby gifts are for a few friends having little boys. I love making these 60 degree triangle quilts for babies, so simple and dramatic.  I like to choose a backing fabric and then pull fabrics for the front based on the colors in the backing. (You can see a couple others here.)

This family is honoring a grandfather who was a pilot, so mama-to-be especially loved the backing fabric. I was happy to use some sock-monkey fabric on the front that I've has since about 2011. 

Next, I did some cyanotype dyeing. I usually do these by setting them out under the bright sun for about ten minutes, but because the sun moves there can be some slight blurring. This time I tried using a UV light rigged it up in a light box. The trade-off for more crisp, clear lines is that I can only do one at a time and it takes nearly 4 times as long exposure time as under the sun.

I have plans to do some more dyeing soon, if only the cats weren't quite so helpful it would be easier!

The face of a boy who brought in a lizard off the catio into my bed to wake me up

Covered in Love is a 501(c)(3) charity that donates quilts to patients dying in the hospital, over 1400 so far! The April-June block drive is live now.  Check out the main post HERE if you want to get involved.

 

6 comments:

  1. I love making 60 degree triangle quilts for babies - yours are so lovely! Your onsies are just wonderful - that looks like such a fun project. And I'm laughing at your reptilian wake up call - oh my goodness! I know he was just trying to share his treasure with you, but that would have had me flying out of bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breakfast in bed? Ha. Maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those onesies are so cute! And so is Fudge (when he isn't delivering "treats")!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super sweet baby gifts, Kat! They are sure to be well received.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have found some time to make some personal projects. The baby quilt is so colorful...exactly what babies like and the onesies are absolutely precious. Glad you figured out how to trick the sun...where there's a will, there's a way. Fudge is a "one of a kind" cat and oh, so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your personal projects are wonderful! I think Fudge wants to be the main mischievous kitty in a children's book. Writing a book can be added to your busy schedule.

    ReplyDelete