Friday, May 16, 2014

Drunken Circles Bee Quilt {Blogger's Quilt Festival}

It's that time of year again! Time for the Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side.  This is a chance for all of us who can't be at Spring Market to show off what we've bee working on and have a chance at some cool prizes, too.  This year I am entering my Drunken Circles quilt in the Modern Quilts category.


This quilt was made by my wonderful fellow-stitchers in the Nurture Circle of do. Good Stitches.  You can find the tutorial for the block we used here if you are interested.  Everyone made one block and I set them up 3x3 with the extra one on the back.

Such AWESOME prints turned up in everyone's blocks!
For the quilting I chose to try intersecting spirals about 1/2" apart, which was an interesting learning experience! Ended up doing it FMQ and that worked out really well.  I used half a dozen different brightly colored threads for the quilting.


You can see the quilting really well from the back. I used a nice IKEA print for the back along with the extra block.


The quilt got a do. Good Stitches label and a stark black and white print for the binding. It measured 45" x 60" before washing.


After posing for pictures the quilt was shipped to My Very Own Blanket, a charity that gives quilts to children in foster care.


I love being a part of my circle at do. Good Stitches! If you have every considered joining this bee you really must.  Major props as always to the ladies in my circle who did such an awesome job with this quilt.


Be sure to visit the Blogger's quilt festival to check out other entries and check out my other entry in the Scrappy Quilt category here.

19 comments:

  1. I like the spiral quilting. Bee blocks make the quilt go together much faster. Nice of you to donate it to young people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a stunning quilt, I would have found it hard to give away! Love the use of colours and the different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Drunkard Path blocks and they sure do look modern in those fabulous fabrics and layout. Quilting in the combined spirals looks awesome! And all for such a worthy cause. Fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous! The colours, the movement, the quilting - all just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations on your beautiful quilt work

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great - love the quilting style you chose for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful quilt - I think the quilting design you chose really sets off the piecing. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful quilt, great fabic choices and spot on quilting.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dropping by from BQF, great fabrics and your spiral quilting sets everything off perfectly :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is just beautiful and you did a great job with the quilting! I recently joined do.good stitches and am so glad that I did!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't usually like black and whites, but this one has a great combination of colours! and i like the music on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quilt! The stitching is perfect.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful quilt! I love the blocks. The scrappiness is super cool and who ever receives it will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colors and quilting in this quilt! So nice and vibrant, you can't help but be cheerful when you look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous quilt. I love the combination of colours. Does the fact that lots of people had a hand in making the blocks contibute to the mix of vibrant colours or was that very much planned in advance? And lovely that it's going to such a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The quilting looks great, I like the inclusion of the extra block on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the brights with all that black and white! Perfect quilting to go along with it!!! You've really outdone yourself this Spring :)

    ReplyDelete