Friday, May 16, 2014

Rainbow Waves scrap quilt {Blogger's Quilt Festival}

Welcome once again to the Blogger's Quilt Festival, when all of us who only wish we were at Spring Market have our own little festival.  This year I am entering my Rainbow Waves quilt into the Scrappy Quilt category.


This quilt was made from a design found on another quilter's blog.  You can find the link to the original design and a break down of the block for this quilt here.


To make this I pulled from my scrap piles, (only prints and brights, and no pinks or purples) and cut as many 3.5" squares as I could.   These paired with 3.5" squares of white and became 768 half square triangles.  Whew!


The top without borders would have measured 60"x80", but at the last minute I decided to add a string pieced border which ended up bumping it up to more like 75"x95".


For the border I pulled from my string box, anything that looked to be less than 1.5". I trimmed them to 3 common widths and then pieced them end to end.  I sewed the border on around and around and around the top until I ran out of strings and ended up with a really dynamic border about 5" wide.


I stippled the whole thing for simplicity's sake, and to tame all the scraps.  Of course it finished off with a scrappy binding :)


Be sure to go back to the festival and check out other entries, and check out my other entry in the Modern category here.


10 comments:

  1. That's a lot of HST's I love Scrappy!!! Mine is there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the addition of the scrappy string border. This is a design I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pure scrappy love.... I have a soft spot for HTS and this is a really cool setup. Like this a lot. Thank you for sharing your inspirational quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - 768 HST's!! Are you in therapy now? Still, it's made a beautiful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt, the color and motion are amazing and I really love the border, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot of HST's. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great scrap quilt - I love your border, it compliments the HST just beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! I love that string-pieced border!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome. What a great border.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah!!!! A quilt after my own heart!!!! I love it!!!! Great idea to string along that border!

    ReplyDelete