Thursday, December 25, 2014

The First Scrappy Strings Quilt

Merry Christmas! I hope yours has been full of family, food, and sewing!  Remember a month or so ago when I sorted my overflowing strings bin?  Seeing all those strings neatly organized gave me an instant bug to make quilts from them! The blue and brown string stacks were the largest, so I tackled them first and set about making traditional string blocks foundation pieced on top of phone book pages.


The string blocks measure 6" finished. Making this many blocks nearly, but not quite, wiped out my blue and brown strings.  Adding solid borders brought the top to 60"x84".


I love scrappy quilts like this because of all the bits you can use up.  Very traditional fabrics mixed with childish and modern ones. Flannels, quilting cottons, and corduroy, everything goes!


This little bit of Tasmanian Devil flannel came from some fabric my mother made me pajamas from when I was a child.  Long before I started sewing, and yet here it is in one of my quilts.


The body of the quilt is stippled while the borders got a curly wave design.  The binding, of course, is scrappy.  For the backing I found a brown and blue flannel. The quilt is awfully heavy, but wonderfully snuggly. Perfect for cool winter nights.


Wilson was as helpful as every during my photo shoot.  The fall days are just wonderful, I wish it could last forever!


Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday.  Merry Christmas everyone!!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on a fabulous finish Kat! The two colors in the border was a great choice and ya just gotta love a scrappy binding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love brown and blue; I love scrappy. So... Great quilt. One goal for this year is to sort my strings. We'll see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty and such a lovely setting for the photography! Do you cut your strips to a certain width before collecting them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and warm looking! Great photos! Thank you for featuring your beautiful cat too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous with thse brown and bleu colors!!! I love it!!!
    Happy New Year and love from Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pretty ... and productive use of the scraps.... Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. Blue and brown together give me a nice cosy feeling. It is quite unisex, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your color combination. String quilts are always pretty. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pattern and I love the blues and browns together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great way to finish out the year. Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete