Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Celebration Sew Day

Monday night I took my first exam of grad school, and it went ok!  In celebration I took the whole day Tuesday to sew.  No school or work, just sewing.  I was recently given 2 years worth of Saturday Sampler blocks by a member of the Tyler Modern Guild for Covered in Love (thanks!).


You may recognize the blocks on the right.  Another member of the same group previously donated me her blocks from the same sampler, done with a black background.  I decided to use strings for the setting this time. 

My initial pull for the sampler quilt

Part of the reason I chose strings is that I was recently donated 2 large boxes of fabric, one almost all strings, which considerably increased my stash.  It's so much fun getting to play with other people's scraps!


While I had the strings dumped out I set aside strings for a baby girl quilt I have coming up.

Sew helpful...

I wanted to use mostly white/low volume strings interspersed with some of the same colors from the blocks.  I cut them into common widths and sewed them end to end into loooong strings, then sewed those into panels.


It's definitely busy, but I think I like it.  Unfortunately there will be no more sewing today. It's back to the school grindstone and then work Thursday and Friday.  If you're interested in helping with Covered in Love, remember our February block drive is going on here!

Linking to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

6 comments:

  1. I love the string sashing! What great guild members you have to donate such fun and bright blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that they donated those awesome blocks to you. I love the string sashing, I'm not sure I would have thought of that. I'm hoping to make a few February blocks for you. I need to check my stash for fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun way to use up some scraps and donated blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! The colorful strips add a lightheartedness to the quilt. Excellent choice!
    Congrats on making it through that first exam :-)
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your exam and on such a lovely way to put together those gorgeous blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great use of those strings. I mean, if you're not using them to entertain your helper there, then stitching them is good, too.

    ReplyDelete