Saturday, April 29, 2017

Announcing CiL's New Block Drive!

Hello, stitchers!  Summer is coming and it's time for a new block drive for Covered in Love.  This one will run from May through the end of June, so if you want to join in with us, please do!


Something extra special is happening with this block drive: for the first time ever we have a guest host!  Cynthia from Quilting is More Fun Than Housework has graciously offered to not only longarm the quilts from this drive at-cost, but also to assemble the tops!  We're also going to be using a block design of hers, one she developed for her great "Scrap-a-Palooza" series.

(Edited to Add: View finished quilts here)

Everyone needs to contact either me or Cynthia for her address to ship blocks! 
(Comment or email CoveredinLoveTx@gmail.com)



These scrappy string color blocks are super easy to assemble and can by put together in a variety of ways. I made a quilt with this tutorial from my own strings a while back.  We're going to stick to the same color scheme Cynthia used in her example quilt, blocks in red, orange, yellow, and purple.


You can find Cynthia's tutorial HERE.  Blocks will finish at 10.5" square.




Covered in Love gives comfort quilts to patients who pass away in the hospital, which the families then get to keep.  If you want to help out we'd love to have you sew along with the block drive!  Make as many or as few blocks as you want and send them in to Cynthia by the end of June.  Comment (make sure I can contact you) or email CoveredinLoveTx@gmail.com for the address to send blocks.


If you blog about working on these blocks, or any other charity sewing, you're invited to join the linky. Every Wednesday!



You can check out finished quilts from previous block drives here.

Linking to Oh Scrap!

9 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get started! I am making room in my sewing space today for the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice block for May/June quilts. I'll start pulling fabrics soon & get started on some. A special thanks to Cynthia for donating her time to help with these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia is a gem for taking this on and I was so inspired by her generosity that...I've already got 9 blocks done tonight! I only needed to cut minimal strips, so it was extra fun using up lots of pieces from my stash. (Now, if you had needed blues...well I would still be sewing for days!) I hope to mail these this week. I know it's a bit early for this round but let's get it going asap. Kat, if you can send me Cynthia's address, that would be great. Thanks, Elana

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's your lucky day, Kat!! Thanks to Cynthia for stepping in to give you a little break. Off to check the string stash...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I just finished a scrappy project, but didn't use yellows or oranges, so those scrap bins have plenty of life left in them. These will be bright, beautiful quilts. Thanks to Cynthia for giving you so much help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful Kat! I love Cynthia's blog and quilt designs, especially Scrap-A-Palooza. It will be great fun to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a worthy cause and the quilt pattern and colors will comfort the recipients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How neat is this block! I absolutely love string quilts! How generous of Cynthia to put them together as well as quilt them! I'm excited about the color scheme as well as the pattern! Thank you for such an cheerful, fun block!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a bright and easy block! Thanks to Cynthia for helping with this wonderful program! Let me know where to send my blocks.

    ReplyDelete