Hello, friends! Louise here to share some vibrant quilts made using YOUR orphan blocks. Let's jump right in with this fiery piece. I pulled blocks with reds and yellows in them and sized them up or down to make them all 12.5" square. Simple thin white sashing and borders lets them glow.
This quilt started as a big batch of crumb blocks in every color. I decided to alternate them with navy and golden chunks of fabric and it visually enhanced out all the blues and yellows in the crumbs. I'm always amazed at how that works!
How about a little pinky-peachy fun? Once again I sized up a few blocks to make them all a uniform size, this time 9.5" square. A hot pink scrappy binding serves as a nice frame.
When all the blocks are very different sizes, I like to do row or column designs. Each column in this quilt starts with smaller blocks at the top and they grow bigger at the bottom. The theme is "black, white, and bright." Even though some of the blocks are classic old designs, the overall feel is crisp and modern.
This quilt started as a very large batch of donated nine patches in two different sizes. I combined two big and two small blocks in a single color with L-shaped center sashing. Can you see it in the lower left corner with the brown block? Then I laid these monochrome blocks out with lights at the top and darks at the bottom, giving a little structure to the scrappy madness.
Finally, this little baby quilt is just simple rectangles in yellows, blues, and greens. Most of them are donated scraps with a few from my own stash. Lots of fun animal fabrics peeking out. Many thanks to everyone who donates to Covered in Love!
Covered in Love is a 501(c)(3) charity that donates quilts to patients dying in the hospital, over 1700 so far! The Summer 2026 block drive is live now. Check out the main post HERE if you want to get involved.







No comments:
Post a Comment