Hello, friends! Louise here to share more quilty goodness made from YOUR orphan blocks. Let's dive right in with this soft and sweet sampler. This arrived as 24 completely finished blocks featuring a lovely variety of pieced and appliqued designs. The maker also donated the scraps, so I had enough to make one more simple block for a 5x5 layout. A chunk of the matching blue was just right for the binding. I just love how the angular pieced blocks play against the rounded applique florals, don't you?
This next quilt is made from a single fabric line, I think. The fabrics are gorgeous! It was donated as smaller blocks that I put together into the larger stars. You can't go wrong with classic stars.
Next is this sweet little panel with an angel and a cat in a vegetable garden. I removed one row of the panel because it featured two animals with X's in the eyes, and that just struck me as odd? Perhaps the artist is from a culture where X eyes don't mean roadkill, but I couldn't unsee that! A few orphan blocks in similar soft colors brought it up to a baby quilt size.
Quilt number four is an example of using just a small handful of orphan blocks to make an entire piece. These 13 purple squares really caught my eye and I wanted to keep them together and let them shine. So I set them on point with lots of background fabric for this geometric design. I hope a purple lover really enjoys it.
Last but not least, another baby sized quilt featuring a wonderful donation of 21 teensy tiny paper pieced blocks. Yes, all those geometric block are only 3" finished! From the various fabrics and handwriting on the paper backings, I think these might have been a block exchange from a guild. I set the blocks alternating with little teddy bears from a cute panel, then added sashing, cornerstones and borders to finish. I think of it as the Teddy Bear's Picnic quilt, perhaps with a toy tea set.
Thank you to all who have donated blocks, scraps and fabric to Covered in Love!
Covered in Love is a 501(c)(3) charity that donates quilts to patients dying in the hospital, over 1700 so far! The Summer 2026 block drive is live now. Check out the main post HERE if you want to get involved.
No comments:
Post a Comment