Sunday, June 30, 2019

Red White and Stars All Over - {July/August CiL Block Drive}


 Happy 4th of July, everyone! It's time for the 2019 "Oh My Stars!" Covered in Love block drive!  For the past 3 years, every summer quilters make red, white, and blue star blocks for Covered in Love to be finished into quilts for grieving families.


These patriotic quilts are loved by everyone, but especially treasured by the families of veterans.  In the past 3 years we have made 27 warm, cozy star quilts for East Texas families who lost someone. 


If you want to help out with this year's drive here's what you need to know.  Blocks should be:
  •  Red, white, and or blue
  • Any pattern that you would would consider a star (or stars)
  • 12.5" (unfinished)
  • In the mail by August 31st
That's it! Anyone can participate and you can make as few or as many blocks as you like. Please email CoveredinLoveTx@gmail.com or comment with your email address for the the address to mail blocks. 


Here are some places you might find patterns to get you started:
Delaware Quilts has LOTS of star patterns
Briawna collected some block links when my Bee did stars
Quilters' Cache also has LOTS of stars in this list
35 Star Quilt patterns
Wonky "Confetti Star" free on Craftsy
Paper pieced "Star Seams" free on Craftsy

You can also look at the finishes from previous years for inspiration here, here, and here.


Covered in Love is a 501(c)(3) non profit charity that provides quilts to families who lose a loved one in an East Texas hospital. Since 2015 we have distributed nearly 50 quilts with help from quilters all over the world.  If you have any questions you can learn more on the main page.

12 comments:

  1. So many great star ideas in those quilts, Kat! I'm going to go look through my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this block drive! Hoping I can find time to participate this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll get started by searching in my stash for red/white/blue fabrics. It's always fun to find new star block patterns that I've never made before & try them out in the July/August block drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these quilts, too! I think I'll quilt up the one I have pieced from that big box you sent me, as my next finish. Seems like an appropriate way to spend the Canada Day/Independence Day week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh hooray, i was hoping you would repeat this challenge as I was recently gifted with a bunch of patriotic fabric. Madly hunting for new star patterns to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hum, I think there is a star pattern and fabric sitting on my cutting table now. Seems a really good cause to make some stars for CiL. (And, clean up my table a little!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect timing -- I'm working on a QOV top right now so I know where the R/W/B lefovers are going now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a block for you. Send the address to Kathryn dot Laposata at gmail.com Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. vos courtepointes patriotiques sont splendides, bravo pour votre générosité Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be sending some red, white and blue star blocks. So glad to help again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have some blocks and some yardage to send for the July/August block drive. Please send me the address. Also, I am an experienced quilter and I have just retired. If you need help putting the blocks together I can do that. I also have a long arm and am willing to quilt some of your quilts. Just let me know. Thanks. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, thanks for the help! Could you send me an email at CoveredinloveTx@gmail.com?

      Delete