Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Grandma's Quilts


My grandmother and her sister were fantastic quilters. They mostly machine pieced with those old pedal Singer machines but everything was handquilted the old fashioned way. They both died well before I was born, but my parents have quite a few of their quilts. Here are some of my favorites.

This is called a Robbing Peter to Pay Paul variation or a Simple Snowball. We have 2 of these.

I also like this solid/patterened nine patch of dark fabrics. There are two of these as well. They used the fabrics leftover from clothes, curtains, and other items. Both of these ladies were perfectly capable of sewing up their own version of a dress they saw in a catalog.

This is an appliqued dresden plate sewn on feed sacks.

I love this large carpenters wheel. I replicated one of these blocks for a mini quilt swap over Christmas using blue and white fabrics. I quilted it so it looked like a snowflake. It was really a great holiday themed wall hanging and I learned to do Y-seams - a real learning experience. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but there will definitely be more of this block in my future.

I believe this is called a one patch. It's very colorful and fun. I owe many thanks to Ann Champion who helped me identify many of these. She has a great blog where she highlights antique quilt tops which you should visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment