Thursday, April 13, 2023

Beautiful blocks


It's time for another display of the lovely blocks you have donated to Covered in Love! Louise here, and I'm so happy to share the beauty that shows up in my mailbox. Let's start with this collection in cool purples, greens and blues.


Aren't these pinwheel rail fence blocks neat? I like to imagine someone made a whole quilt with these blocks, a big swirl of purple and twinkling yellow covering their bed. Of course a wise quilter will make a few extra blocks, just in case. Her careful planning is my raw material!


Next is this explosion of autumnal goodness. Such a great variety of block designs, all playing so nicely together because of the similar colors. When Kat receives your block donations, she sets many of them aside in a box for me. She also generously adds donated yardage for borders and sashing. When the box is full, she mails it off to me. The last box was over 50 pounds!

Opening those boxes is like Christmas and my birthday rolled into one! A LOT of squealing is involved as I sort the blocks into friendly piles. I have storage bins labeled with the common color themes: Autumnal, Brights, Purple and Green, Red/White/Blue, and Pastels.


Pastels are the biggest challenge for me, as they are rarely my first choices when buying fabrics, but I absolutely love how this quilt turned out. Thank you for sending in so many soft, pretty orphan blocks to prod me out of my comfort zone.


This sweet basket block is one of my favorites. It has buttons and lace! I wonder how many the quilter made? They must have been challenging to piece! I used blue painters tape to cover the lace during quilting so it wouldn't get tangled in my needle. 


Today's final quilt features a gorgeous paper pieced center, surrounded by Priscilla's hard working churn dash blocks. (Actually, I think those blocks are called something else. Anybody know the correct name?) I'm always grateful to received groups of "sibling" blocks like these because they allow me to create frames and borders. Look at how perfectly the block colors match the center!


The center scene features still life items perched on shelves, including a ship in a bottle! There are so many seams required, and the pieces are so small, that the whole panel is super thick and a bit of a workout to quilt.


After I finished, I was ready to have a glass of wine to celebrate! Thank you to everyone who has sent in blocks. I couldn't make these finished quilts, ready to to comfort families, without each individual donation. One by one, your blocks grow into fascinating, inspiring collections.

8 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you, Louise. Thank you for all you do to help Kat and for creating such wonderful quilts from orphan blocks.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word! These are all just stunning, Louise! I've been wondering what to do with my assorted orphan blocks (how do I always end up making more blocks than I need?) & know now they'll go in the box to Kat for you to work your magic in. Thank you so much for sharing these beauties with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really beautiful quilts, and wonderful help to see what you've done with orphan blocks.

    That is one variation of Churn Dash, but I've also seen it called Monkey Wrench, which has still other variations. I usually don't make the variation with the squares, using the rectangles, but I always like this one and will make some one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Louise!!! Always a delight to see what magic you have done with the blocks you receive. These are delightful!!!!! And so inspiring! I find pastels harder to work with too even though I like the end result. Churn Dash is also called Monkey Wrench and Hole in the Barn Door. Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Hole in the Barn Door is the name I was trying to remember. Thanks, Cindy!

      Delete
  5. I think in one of my block books they've called the block in question a Puss in the Corner. So many names for a single block pattern! Thank you, Louise, for all the time and effort you put into assembling and quilting these donated blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had SEW much fun playing with the Orphan blocks, Louise!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilts! Glad the spring weather have been therapeutic. I have some blocks for Cynthia. Thank you so much for pointing us to her block drive. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete