Friday, November 17, 2023

Sibling block quilts, featuring Priscilla


Hello! Louise here to share some quilts made from blocks donated by Covered in Love supporters. Today I'm focusing on what I call "sibling" blocks, which are groups of blocks in the same design. They are often donated by the same person in coordinating fabrics. 


This first quilt is made with lovely autumnal log cabin blocks sewn by Priscilla. She sent enough to make several quilts and this is the first.


How about this fun zig-zaggy chevron quilt? These are also Priscilla's blocks.


I backed them with this bird fabric that I've been holding onto for at least 8 years. The binding was donated all ironed up and ready to go, too.


Priscialla also donated these pretty stars, in some of the same autumnal fabrics as the log cabins.


I put these cat faces on the back. Their stare is a little less intense in person!


This is the fourth quilt from Priscilla's blocks. I'm not sure what this block is called, but I like it. Something about the scrappy cream backgrounds is just so comforting.


Do you recognize these hexagons in this pretty fabric? These are the leftovers from the kaleidoscope quilt that Christine sent in. Her generous donation of all the coordinating fabrics made two complete quilts. Thanks, Christine!


Sometimes I don't have quite enough sibling blocks on hand to make a complete quilt, so I look for a "good friend" block to make up the difference. These eight diamond shaped blocks are a neat design! I'm not sure, but they might also be Priscilla's work.


This on-point patchwork block was just the friend the blocks needed. Such tiny pieces! A border of chicken fabric rounds this one out.


Sometimes the sibling blocks that Kat sends to me are left over from block drives. Did you take part in this one? I love the green and gray together. 


Someone donated this shamrock fabric and it's the perfect backing.


Here's another one with "special friends" to help. I knew I wanted to put the two John Deere fabric blocks into the same quilt, and when this batch of seven siblings showed up, a match was made!


And last but not least, here is a lovely batch of sibling blocks in purple, reds and blue solids. The floral panels can shine with this symmetrical column layout and I was happy to give them a quilt of their own.

Many thanks to Priscilla, Christine, and everyone else who donated blocks to Covered in Love!

6 comments:

  1. It looks like you had SEW much fun with those sibling block quilts, Louise! I'm sure that Kat appreciates your assistance with them. You really ROCK the sibling blocks!! (The 4th quilt is made up of Split 9-Patch blocks.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an awesome collection of donation quilts! You did an incredible job of matching the blocks up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever you are in pulling together all these wonderful designs. Well done.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all such great comfort quilts and make such good use of all the blocks submitted. I have to put it in my planner to contribute blocks in 2024. Such a good cause!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great quilts!!! They are all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always in awe of how you incorporate sibling blocks to make a cohesive whole. I actually made a quilt this year using that same method and was so surprised at how well it turned out!

    ReplyDelete