Thursday, April 3, 2014

Splashin' in Sidewalk Puddles {String Quilt & Tutorial}

I finally made a list of all the things I need to blog about, and realized how behind I am! March just got the better of me, it seems.   Partly I spent a lot more time at work than I normally do, and blogging was what go dropped out of the schedule. I have been quilting like a fiend, however! (I quilt as a stress reliever, so the more stressed I get the more I sew!)


This quilt I named Sidewalk Puddles got done a while ago.  I even posted the tutorial, but I waited so long for a sunny day to take pictures, that I forgot to ever post the finish.  This cute little scrap quilt was made with all the aqua strings from my scrap bin and Moda's dark grey solid (it looks similar to Kona Coal.)  It finished at almost 50" square.


The design uses easy (no pin) curves and a method similar to a stack and slash quilt.


I quilted wavy lines in the string pieced sections and outlined the horizontal seams all with light grey thread.  The horizontal lines reminded me of the cracks in a sidewalk. 


The binding is scrappy, an aqua solid, a textured aqua, and a little bit of a grey polka dot.


For the back I used some leftover bits from other projects.


Of course it got one of my new labels, still loving these!


The quilt is listed in my Etsy store.  If you'd like to make a similar one, check out the tutorial here.
Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday.


3 comments:

  1. Hurray for a finished quilt! Love the colors and curves, and the tag is super cute on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt! It is so fun to look at! Very nice work! -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt. I love the name you picked for it!

    ReplyDelete