After the two aqua string quilts (here and here) I was feeling like I needed to make a more girly quilt. And while this one isn't exactly pink and pastel it certainly is feminine!
I started with that babushka fabric (near the top of the quilt), which came from a Hawthorne Threads scrap pack, and pulled fabrics to match the colors. Many of the other fabrics in this quilt also came from scrap packs. I cut WOF strips in assorted widths from the available fabrics and laid them out in a simple stacked layout.
Two of the strips are ruffled, and idea which I can't take credit for but unfortunately can't find where I saw it first. The other strips got various FMQ designs. It was super fun to match the thread colors and pick a design for each strip, please humor me as there are lots of quilting photos below!
This cool purple flower fabric got a waving FMQ that goes around the flowers, creating a bubbled texture.
This was my last decent sized piece of this orange fabric. I'm normally not much for orange, but I have loved this fabric. It got my favorite FMQ design, leaves on a stem, while the strip above it got the square-spiral (an Angela Walter's design).
The large scale flowers got Angela Walter's flower power design in a cranberry colored thread.
The babushkas got a simple stipple. Those cranberry colored strips on either side of it are corduroy, a lucky find in the remnants bin ages ago that worked out perfectly in this quilt! I bound the whole thing in a crisp, spring-y green solid.
With the various quilting designs, the ruffled strips, and the corduroy this quilt is a feast of textures. I opted to back it with soft flannels and I had the perfect colors in my stash.
The quilting texture shows up soooo nice on the back.
The quilt measures 40"x50", a generous toddler or baby quilt. Quilt Inspector Wilson has declared it fit for duty!
This quilt is listed for sale in my Etsy Shop.
Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday.