Thursday, June 2, 2016

Baby baby!

Happy Friday, and happy BABY to my cousin!  She's expecting a baby girl in October, her first, and I can't wait! 


This cousin has a few other quilts of mine. If you've been reading this blog a really long time you might remember the Harley T-shirt memory quilt and the jumpsuit Pockets quilts I made from her father's clothes.  The pockets quilt was a kid quilt, and at the time she hadn't even met the man she eventually married.  I made it thinking of future kids, and now one is almost here!


This quilt is made from the same tall nine-patch block that was the May Covered in Love block drive, just in a different color scheme.  These gorgeous colors with a subtle nautical theme are what my cousin has chosen for the nursery.  I quilted the top and batting with a stipple before adding the backing and ruffle.  I used the pre-folded sating edging and pleated it on, then attached the minky back pillowcase-style.


I top stitched all around the edge to anchor the ruffle and keep everything crisp. Because I knew the top would shrink and the minky wouldn't I deliberately made the minky a bit small and didn't add tacking stitches to hold all three layers together until after the first wash.


I was using minky remnants and had to piece together two to make it big enough. This turned out to be a happy accident because blue and white are the colors of the baby's father's beloved baseball team.

The quilt, along with some bibs and a lovie, has already been sent to its new home, now we're just waiting for a baby!

 Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday

PS- If you are looking for the June Covered in Love block drive you can find it right here!

6 comments:

  1. Nicely done. Congrats! on your newly completed quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabrics in this and the ruffled border and minky backing--really pretty hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love the ruffled edge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to hear your technique on adding a ruffle using the satin edging like that! I have a bunch of packages of it, but don't care for how it is conventionally used because it covers up too much of the quilt edge. The ruffle is awesome!

    The whole quilt is awesome, actually :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt! Great idea to piece the Minky back.

    ReplyDelete