Thursday, January 24, 2013

Finish! Shrapnel, a Sunday Morning Quilt

The sun was going down so I had to snatch this picture before he binding was put on.
Fresh from the dryer, I'm so excited to share this finish.  I'm calling it Shrapnel.  (As in Quilt Shrapnel, because that's essentially what scraps are, isn't it?)


This is my version of Amanda Jean's "Up Up and Away" quilt from her book "Sunday Morning Quilts."  You can read more of the details on this quilt in its WIP post here.  The idea was to use up all the small triangular bit of fabric I had in my scraps, particularly the 2.5" triangles trimmed off when making binding. 

Slowly emptying the triangle jar
 In the book Amanda Jean used her scraps to make a baby sized quilt.  I must have been feeling ambitious, or possibly insane when I started this, because I aimed for (64) 8" squares.  The quilt finished at 64" square before shrinking a bit in the wash.  I don't have an exact count, but my math says there should be a little over 900 scrap triangles in this quilt.


It's interesting to see so many of my fabric choices over time together in one quilt. It is pretty representative of my preference when buying, and the state of my stash: Mostly bold, saturated colors, lots of solids, heavy on the blues and greens, precious little pink or purple.  Almost every quilt I've ever made is represented here. As I was quilting it I began to remember what project each patch was from.  I can hardly believe I have been quilting for over 3 years.


I opted to quilt it with a grid due to the many seams, using my walking foot as a guide to stay about a 1/4" away from the seam lines. It seemed only appropriate to bind with all the leftover bits of bindings from previous quilts.  I last did this with the Double Irish Chain quilt  (which, incidentally, went to a new home over Christmas) but I had built up quite a bit more since then.

I loved the patterns in Sunday Morning Quilts and this one was so much fun to make! I can't wait to start on the next one :)

Linking up to Finish it Up Friday.  Pop over there and see what everyone else has going on. 

12 comments:

  1. I think I might have to start keeping my triangles for this... love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a neat idea for a quilt. It's absolutely gorgeous.

    -Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done...it looks amazing. I've done one of those too, but only baby sized quilt with tiny scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful I love it! I want to do something like this. I am stash busting too. And planning at least my goal is 1 donation quilt a month. I probably won't get one done this month finishing my first queen size quilt on my machine. First time I have quilted anything this big! I love it but wow it's taken a long time. I enjoyed meeting you. I came over from Crazy Mama's. I will be following you too. You've inspired me! Look for my little Blue Slippers!
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very nice take on that quilt. And the firewood! double warm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's gorgeous! Great setting too ; ) wonderful to use up so many little bits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous quilt. I love the big and small triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt!! It makes me wish I'd saved all my triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh...how delicious is this quilt?! All those scraps, with so many memories!!! It looks so inviting to wrap up in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the name! :) it suits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely quilt! Awesome number of triangles. And a very appropriate name for it too.

    ReplyDelete