Thursday, January 15, 2015

Proof That I Will Make a Quilt About Anything

This is proof that I will make a quilt about anything. That's what I told my boyfriend; the quilt is for his brother :)


Back around Thanksgiving I dragged my boyfriend along on a shopping trip to Hancocks Fabrics. He went straight for the discount table and started browsing while I did my shopping. Later he brought me this Bob Marley novelty fabric and asked if I could make a quilt around it for his brother.  After all, it has Bob Marley and pot leaves, which his brother loves, and it was 80% off, which Boyfriend loves.  One might wonder why Hancocks ever stocked a bolt of Bob Marley/pot leaf novelty fabric, as that is not exactly in most of their customers' wheelhouse. But I digress.


Boyfriend bought what was left on the bolt of the Bob Marley fabric and picked half a yard each of coordinating prints himself.  I have to admit, his color matching is much better than mine. He also picked out the skull and crossbones fleece for the backing.


I worked out a design for the top to use almost every inch of our fabric. Boyfriend suggested the big wonky star in the middle.  I got the top assembled in about 5 hours, and basted and quilted the whole thing the next day. I used a loose allover stipple to get the job done quick. The quilt finished at 60"x84". It turned out lovely soft and fluffy, Boyfriend is delighted, and by extension, so am I.

Which maybe answers the question of why Hancocks would stock Bob Marley fabric. Because quilters don't make quilts for us, we make them for other people :)

Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday.

7 comments:

  1. Your boyfriend should take up quilting. I love the colours and the layout, the big wonky star was a great idea. Although I am not a fan of bob marley or pot leaves, I like the look of the print, and I have a sneaking suspicion that his brother is going to think that it is awesome. Great job, team Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a quilt my brother would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often told people there is a fabric out there for every taste. I almost always add that I don't have the time or desire to look for it, so if you want it you find it. Your boyfriend did that. The perfect storm of quilting

    ReplyDelete
  4. A boyfriend that likes sales and can match fabric? I think we call that a keeper ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow - not only is this EXACTLY what my son asked me to make for his 25th Birthday 1-15-16, it was also made ON that date! ~j.<3.d~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, original, beautiful! Now I'm hung up on this particular fabric for my own son's quilt - and I can't find it ANYWHERE. Hancock is doubtful and 'shocked' every time I call asking how to find it ... any chance you still have the receipt with the product #? (yeah, I know - longest shot yet, but that's the 1st thing they ask me.) I've been looking for months now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete