Thursday, January 22, 2015

Friday Finish: Wanderlust

I can't tell you how happy I am to finally be sharing pictures of this quilt! I had to keep it under wraps during the process so that Boyfriend would have at least a little bit of surprise when he got it.


He has now been initiated into the world of a quilter's significant other... standing on a stool in the yard for quilt photos. Even though only his knuckles are showing I insisted he put on pants for the photo shoot. When he balked I told him about the annual Quilter's Shirtless Man and Spicy Burrito Calendar. Then he put on pants.  Maybe next year :)


The first time Boyfriend saw my quilts he picked out the Anacortes mariners compass as his favorite and has wanted on like it.  This time I made the center medallion from four different paper-peced compass patterns I found on Wombat Quilts.


The cardinal directions were raw edge appliqued onto the quilt sandwich with a machine blanket stitch. Isn't that constellations fabric wonderful? I quilting around the perimeter of a few of the circles in matching thread the make the quilting on that border blend in.


All of the brown sashing is 1" wide and got stitch in the ditch.  The batik strips on the top and bottom got strippled with a variegated purple/blue/teal thread. The batik panels were added after I finished the center and spent a couple weeks stuck on what to do next. Finally I got the idea to just pull out all the batik scraps that went well and strip piece them together.


For backing I chose a soft cuddly fleece that really shows off all the different quilting.  Boyfriend is thrilled with his quilt; I am relieved that I nailed his very precise color preferences! 


Happy to have this "Christmas" quilt finally done and delivered :)  I'm linking to Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

6 comments:

  1. The constellation fabric is perfect and Boyfriend will love the cozy backing. Great job on the compass, I like how you varied the blocks on the compass, it lets your eyes wonder around the quilt. He is going well with quilt holding training, held very straight. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I'm not surprised he chose Anacortes as his favorite, it's one of mine too. I like how the batik strips look like books. Almost as if you're on a treasure hunt in a library or something

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great. I love the constellations fabric. I saw a quilt very similar to this when I was looking through a quilting magazine the other day, and I really wanted to make one - then I remembered that I am the kind of person who would always have a little compulsion to keep North facing North, and it would probably drive me just a touch crazy. I love how it looks though, and I think your baltic scraps are very well suited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt! I had to comment because of what you said about making your boyfriend put on pants for the photo shoot! That is always a topic of conversation at our house! "Someone's coming up to the door! Quick put on pants!" Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fabulous quilt, Kat! Your BF has excellent taste. . . in quilts and in quilters ;)

    ReplyDelete