Thursday, July 27, 2023

Circling the center


Hello, friends! Louise here with more quilts made with your orphan blocks. Today's post will feature pieces that have medallion-style centers. Check out the two gorgeous blocks in the middle of this first one! I believe they were both donated by Jan. I surrounded them with two borders made of various smaller blocks in bright colors, many donated by Priscilla. I tried to keep each color grouped together for a bit of cohesion.


On the back, I used this pretty red and white floral. This was also donated, and I'm always grateful to get big pieces for backings. 



Next up is a subtler color palette, featuring more blocks by Priscilla. It was a bit of a puzzle to make 10 small blocks and 10 medium blocks work as borders, but I love a challenge like that.


The center medallion was stitched by Christine. Isn't it lovely? Tumbling leaves with multiple delicate borders. Nice piecing!


Someone donated this super fun Wizard of Oz fabric for the back. I hope this quilt ends up in the hands of a Judy Garland fan!



Last but not least, here's another autumnal quilt. Lots and lots of different blocks making for a kind of grown-up I-spy piece. My favorite is the little cat on a dark green background on the left edge.


The center is a very nice pineapple block panel donated anonymously. It looks like it was very complicated to make! Sometimes while finishing quilts with these fancy blocks, I think, "I'm so glad someone else made this so I didn't have to," and I'm grateful for the reprieve! 

Many thanks to the many hands who stitched up these blocks and sent them in. And thanks to Kat for both washing and photographing this batch for me.

 

7 comments:

  1. What fun ideas for center medallions!! those are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise, you did a fantastic job pulling together odd blocks. I also enjoy working this way (when my brain is functioning properly). They've turned out lovely, and are going to be so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louise, you always do great work...amazing what you put together. I sent you some stuff several years back, along with the unused fabric and you turned it into something terrific. Probably have more stuff to send you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! You worked magic with such a variety of blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise, you created unique quilts from a variety of blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great medallion quilts! I loved the wonderful differences among them, but each was terrific all by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all the kind words, friends!

    ReplyDelete