Thursday, February 12, 2015

String Quilt No. 3, Modern Lines

My string scrap busting continues with the latest in a line of string quilts.  I'm calling this one "Modern Lines." (See string quilts No. 1 and No. 2 at these links.)  For this one I wanted to make another quilts with the same traditional-type blocks as String Quilt No. 1, but a more modern setting.


I foundation pieced these 10.5" blocks on tops of newspaper. It seems like newspaper would turn both my fingers and the fabric black, but in fact I had no such problem. Best of all it tore away easily, making removing the paper not the chore it usually is.


This pretty much wiped out my black and red scraps but I still have some white and neutral left for the next quilt.


I really like the way the red strings are pointed on the ends. That was one aspect of the design I didn't see coming when I drew it out originally. I'm calling it a design feature, not a bug ;)  As you can tell, I quickly stippled the whole thing for simplicity sake.


The quilt has a soft, red, houndstooth flannel backing and finished at 60"x80".  It has been gifted to boyfriend's long-suffering roommate, who puts up with me crashing at his house and making a mess in his kitchen several times a week.


Thanks for visiting, happy Friday! Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday and Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.

13 comments:

  1. Beautifully dramatic quilt. I love the scale of the design and how it is scrappy yet uniform. Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt. Love the black and red and I think your backing is great!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great quilt. Easy tear newspaper is a fine idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the houndstooth backing. I like to back quilts in flannel too. Makes them so soft and snuggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to keep that open invitation!!!!This is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. I love how you set the blocks! I do a lot of paper piecing, usually on scrap copy paper and end up taking bits out with tweezers. I may give newspaper a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sorted through my scraps, thinking I wasn't really a fan of scraps, with the intention of passing them on to you, but in the process I found out I actually do like scraps, and all that is left over is a small bag of very scrappy scraps. Are you still interested if it is just quite little odd bits and pieces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woops, forgot to say how cool this quilt is. The recipient of the quilt sure got lucky in the roommate's-girlfriend stakes :)

      Delete
  8. Fabulous quilt, so much movement! I am impressed that you "killed" your black and red scraps! I have never been able to do that; they just seems to accumulate continually (like breed overnight!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a dramatic color scheme and a gorgeous quilt. Love seeing the strips up close - so many interesting fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very effective use of just the right amount of red. Visiting from Oh Scrap

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful quilt. I love the dramatic colors and the houndstooth print on the back! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete