Thursday, January 8, 2015

String Braid (Scrappy String Quilt #2)

My string braid quilt is done! I talked about this quilt and shared a tutorial for making the blocks back in this post.  I have been working on string quilts ever since I sorted my strings back in November. This first finish was the brown and blue traditional quilt, and this is the second.


This quilt finished at 56"x70".  I still have a stack of these spring colored 60 degree triangles left, so there will be another similar quilt to come. The satisfaction of reducing a pile of string scraps into useful quilts is right up there for my favorite part of quilting.



I quilted it with a stipple using a variety of thread colors that match the colors in the top. Not only did the quilt use up scraps, it used up several partial spools of thread, too!


For the backing I used a bright pink polka dot I've had for years.


The bright happy quilt is a perfect antidote for the weather we've been having. Don't let the bright sunshine fool you, it was below freezing when I took these pictures and the wind was literally whipping the quilt around.  As you can see by our dwindling wood stack we've been making lots of fires to cope!


Elvis says "Stay Warm Folks!"

Linking to Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, your quilt looks great.So satisfying using up left over fabric. Love the spotty backing. Can't imagine lighting a fire here. It has been a hot Summer. I will be linking to Finish It Up Friday too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bright colors on this cold, dreary day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. String quilts do not usually catch my attention but Wow! I love this one. the bright colors and the design is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt! I've done two other string quilts, but I like the idea of the triangles. I'm thinking this is how I should deal with my scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super colourful! Nice to see something different being done with string blocks. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great finish! I really like the green you chose for the vertical sashing and the pink on the back is a wonderful surprise! Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely finish.. string quilts have always been a favourite of mine! The olive green sashing is perfect for this quilt! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love your string quilt. Great colours, good size, terrific quilting. what more could you want. Joanne

    ReplyDelete