Thursday, August 19, 2021

So Tired

This great big top is a beautiful, clever mix of pieced blocks and panels by Marianne, long arm quilted by Wendy.  So cheerful!

Happy Friday everyone, I hope you're all well.  To be honest I'm struggling. I'm just wrapping up two weeks of work at the hospital and will have some time off. We're neck deep in another Covid surge here in Texas and it all seems to pointless, knowing that we have safe and effective vaccines that have been available for EIGHT MONTHS.  

Soft pastel stars by Marianne, quilted by Pam

Over 95% of our Covid admissions are unvaccinated and over 99.5% of deaths.  Most of them don't have some crazy conspiracy theory, they just didn't get around to getting vaccinate, didn't think it was important, didn't think it would happen to them.  None of them think it will happen to them.  Most of them are shocked to find out that there is no effective treatment for Covid.  There are things that we do, but not a single one has been shown conclusively to actually improve survival or shorten hospitalization. We try to keep you alive long enough for your body to fight it off, that's it.

Another one of Christy's lovely shirtings tops, quilted by Ray.

I'm just so tired of giving bad news.  I'm tired of hearing nonsense about the vaccine and Covid from Karen on Facebook.  I'm tired of hearing people's last words.  Whereas before it was hard but it felt like we were working toward something, now it feels pointless. We had an opportunity to stamp this out and get it under control and we blew it over politics.

Love the big flowers Ray chose to quilt, sort of look like hibiscus. I had a tropical batik fabric to match that I used to bind the quilt.

I'm grateful to have a work arrangement that allows me to have time off.  Many of the doctors at the hospital are working practically around the clock. And fortunately I have snuggly, furry people at home who have no idea what Covid means.

Covered in Love is a 501(c)(3) charity that donates quilts to patients dying in the hospital, over 800 so far! The July/August drive is running now, check out the main post HERE if you want to get involved. 

Linking to  Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Finished or Not Friday

22 comments:

  1. Thank you! For continuing to do your work at the hospital. For taking care of folks who don't have the common sense they should have. And, after all that, making quilts for others, too. Kitty snuggles have gotten me through some of my worst days, too, though compared to yours mine are pathetic. Hang in there. You are seen. You are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat, you are an angel. Thank you for providing us with a real life example of selfless love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. My heartfelt thanks to you (and the other nurses) for all that you have been doing. Praying for you tonight. Yes, it is so discouraging that so many people remain unvaccinated. (In my own county the percentage of of fully vaccinated people is still just under 50%.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad for you and your coworkers having to go through this again. Sad for the people who think it can't happen to them. I love coming to your blog to see all the beauty and caring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you got some lovely quilts in and that you have soft kitties at home and some much needed time off to spend with them. Sending quilty hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding my thanks and appreciation! I can’t imagine the dedication it takes to keep going! You said it so well! Such division Allen the name of politics! Thank you for keeping on! Thank you for your kind heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you have to go through this again. And even worse when you know it doesn't have to be like this. I get tired of it just from the news and the CDC reports, but it's nothing compared to your live view. Please take care of yourself and do something you enjoy with your time off. The quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Kat. It must be so hard for you right now. I'm sorry it has come to this terrible place. I hope you can get some rest and know that we love and support you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending you love and hugs and good vaccinated vibes! Thank you for what you do, and take care of yourself. Kitty snuggles will help with that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great big Hugs - that has to suck! But on the other hand - your plaid quilts make me smile... Rest well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grieve for your sad heart and tired mind and body (but not for the health care workers, nurses included, who refuse to get vaccinated). And I'm sorry you are saddled with a governor who puts politics above public health. OTOH, I love that first quilt which is so delightful. It will bring joy and comfort to someone who needs it. (Maybe you should keep it for yourself for a few months, to brighten your day). Your selfless devotion to your task is much admired. May you find peace in the days ahead.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kat, I so feel for you. You give your all at work despite people not having done what they could do to avoid Covid. I echo what Pat said and am sorry that politics has created another round of trauma and death for your state. Let out a big cry, throw something or do whatever you need because you're right to be frustrated and angry. This could have been avoided now that we have a vaccine available. Sending a big hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Much love to you! So glad you have your furry babies to comfort you! Hope you can get some rest. Your quilts are beautiful! Many of us understand your frustration. Saying prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bless you for all you do!!!! You are an Angel on earth! I cannot imagine how frustrating it must be to going thru this AGAIN! when it could have been prevented. I agree with Miss Pat - hang on to that beautiful colorful quilt for a bit---don't you need to test drive it??? Let it comfort you for a bit. Kitty therapy is the best!!!! Sending love & hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kat, I'm so sorry - it must be hugely discouraging. My brother is a counselor and talked to some of the nursing supervisors at his hospital system and they were all just so broken down and sad, but trying to bear up for each other best they could and holding on to so much stress...it's probably too much for unvaccinated people to come around to common sense but hopefully they can at least be scared into doing the right thing. Sending strength your way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Kat, I hear your pain & frustration throughout your post. Now, these unvaccinated patients are putting the entire hospital staffs at risk because of their selfishness. I totally understand how angry & disappointed you are in humanity right now. Prayer & hugs for your safety & peace of mind & spirit. May God bless you & keep you safe.
    Thank you for all you do for so many.
    Cover yourself in love with your most favorite quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kat, so sorry you must go thru this ordeal and deal with patients who are just irritating saying hello. God bless you real good and keep you safe. I truly admire you for ALL you do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kat, my heart goes out to you! It's so hard to see people being reckless with their own lives and those of the people around them, all for a political ideology! Makes me want to move somewhere where folks are a little more sane - but that's not happening. Hang in there - you're not alone, even though it feels like it sometimes. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My heart goes out to you and all the health care workers who are caring for people who could have prevented it! I totally believe that has to be incredibly frustrating! I am sending you a non-furry virtual hug. I pray the country wakes up ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thankful you will have a bit of decompression time before going back to trying to save so many people who have *chosen* to put themselves and, thereby, others (especially those who literally cannot get vaccinated because of their age, chemo, immuno, etc.) in harm’s way. Big virtual, vaccinated, masked hug for you. I’m so glad you have furry family members to help you find moments of peace & relief.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a hard time for doctors, nurses and other caregivers and first responders. My heart and prayers go out to you (singular and plural). Take care of yourself as much as possible, and cuddle those furkids and let them work their healing purr therapy on you. Thanks for all you do! xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kat, I hope you are doing better and will continue to find the strength to be a caregiver and shoulder this monumental burden. You have my heartfelt gratitude. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete