I tried to choose soft, ice-cream colors for the blocks. The pieced borders are an assortment of flowered and girly prints from my 2.5" square collection.
The unfinished blocks were 16.5" square, which made them wonderfully easy to practice FMQ on. Each block has a different fill.
I quilted spiky swirls in the sashing after joining the QAYG blocks together. I think it sort of looks like vines.
This is what I love so much about QAYG. It makes it so manageable to try new things, because you're not committing to a whole quilts-- it's just one block at a time.
The finished quilt measures 48" square. I bound it with a dark brown solid, the same one I used on the back to join the blocks together. The backing is a pink, grey, and brown polka dot from a sheet set.
The finished quilt is every bit as soft, visually and literally, and I was hoping for. It joins the boy-version in my stand-by bay quilts pile. I try to have a boy and a girl quilt always ready to go, but I keep giving them away! ;)
|A closing close-up of my favorite quilting fill, the wood grain pattern from Angela Walter's FMQ book.|
Linking up to Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.