Thursday, July 5, 2018

Hunter's Star Quilts


Assembled and quilted by Kathy
Happy Friday! I hope your 4th was fun.  I've got 6 cool blue quilts to show this weekend. These are the first 6 quilts to be finished from the Hunter's Star block drive.


Back in March/April you guys answered my call for blue Hunter's Star blocks for Covered in Love.  Enough blocks for 15 quilts in all!


My local quilting angle assembled and quilted these first 3 for me from the donated blocks.  As most of you know, CiL makes quilts for patients dying in the hospital.  We recently surpassed 330 quilts donated!

Assembled and quilted by Kathy
Gail C. had sent in 4 nice grey toned backings with interesting patterns just as I was packing up blocks for Kathy, so 3 of her backings made it on to these quilts. Thanks Gail!


This has been one of my favorite block drives in a while. I love how all the shade of blue and all the different fabrics came out.

Assembled and quilted by Kathy
CiL is always especially in need of quilts appropriate for men, so these will be perfect!


These last 3 were assembled and quilted by me.  I like how the one above looks with all the blue-on-white fabrics.


I used more of Sandra's outdoorsy novelty fabrics for the backings, perfect for a man.


I can't remember if I mentioned on here yet that I bought a new quilting machine? I use a mid-arm machine (similar to a HandiQuilter Sweet 16).  My previous machine was a temperamental hand-me-down from Nancy R. that I grew to love over the past few years.  That machine and me quilted well over a hundred, probably a couple hundred, quilts for CiL.

Thanks for Amanda for this cute backing

Unfortunately my old machine was well past its expiration date and in May it finally crossed to a point where it was not usable anymore. A sad day indeed.


Fortunately another local quilter, Angie, let me come over for a sewing day on her Sweet 16 so I could keep up.  I bought a new mid-arm a few weeks ago, an Artistic Quilter SD-16, and it's so far so good!  I love the increase in throat space and it is nice not to have all the idiosyncrasies my old machine had.


Thank you to everyone who contributed to this blocks drive! And to Kathy, Angie, Amanda, Sandra, Gail, and others whose donations of time and materials has helped to finish the quilts.

6 down, 9 to come

Covered in Love donates quilts to patients dying in the hospital, over 300 so far! Our block drives are back on track and July/August is the annual "Oh My Stars!" drive.  Check out the main post HERE if you want to get involved.


Linking to  Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Finished or Not Friday

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts. I have a weakness for blue and white and for stars...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These really are beauties!! I had always wanted to try that block and thanks to you, I got to make a few blocks. The resulting quilts are stunning! I see why you loved this block request so much. There is something about blue on blue that feels so serene and calming. Well done as always!! I'm off to make some RW&B stars while i'm still in the 4th of July mode!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, those are gorgeous ! I made some of them, and for some reason, I did NOT like sewing that block . But I REALLY like the quilts made up from that block !!!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kat, these are stunning! And you’re right...perfect fo the men folk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sea of beautiful stars! Lovely, lovely quilts, Kat. And I'm so glad that you're enjoying your midarm. When I moved up from my tiny Kenmore to my bigger Juki, it made quilting just that much more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kat, those are beautiful quilts! So glad you have more quilts for the men. I love the Hunter's Star block & the blue on blue make into a beautiful quilt. Happy for you that you were able to get a new Artistic Quilter SD-16. I looked it up on the web to see what it is & that's a real beauty of a machine. I know you will enjoy using it. My little Janome with a 6 1/2" harp is no match for you upgrade. Congrats on the new purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new You! And these are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was supposed to be new Toy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Kat!! These Hunter Star quilts are MAGNIFICENT!!! Nice work, contributors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are really beautiful! What a wonderful lot of quilts these make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kat, these are amazing! What a great design and vision you had!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Hunter Star quilts are beautiful It always amazes me how well blocks made by so many different people work so well together.

    ReplyDelete