Thursday, October 29, 2020

Winter Blues Wrap Up

Almost twelve months later, the Winter Blues quilts from the Nov/Dec 2019 block drive are all done! (Hey, it's less than a year, right?)

All 5 of the quilts in this post were tops made by Gail C. and quilted by me.

I love Gail's beautiful, intricate piecing style and her eye for color. Bonus, she's a local to east Texas!

She usually sends several tops kitted up with backing and binding for each drive we do. 

In case you missed it, Covered in Love is rapidly approaching the 700 quilt landmark.  I'm amazed how many people who have been donating since the very beginning are still here and how many new people continue to hear about CiL and join in!

Today I'm really missing the weather I had to take these pictures! It's been cold and drizzly for 3 days now.  That's unpleasant enough on it's own, but I also have a stack of quilts I need to photograph!

In order to keep clean quilts cat-hair free they're stored in the dryer after laundering. Once I have a few I move them to a "closet" (box) in the back of my car. After photos they go to the extra bedroom in my parents house until there are enough for delivery.  A week or two of bad weather can result in quilts building up everywhere.

Speaking of quilt management in small spaces, Louise is doing a series on her blog about quilting on her boat, which included a wonderful video tour. You should go see it if you haven't!

Here are 18 of the 20 finished quilts from this drive all lined up for a family photo! Love this picture!! I used to do these with all the drives but it got harder to do as the drives got larger and took longer to wrap up.

Here's the "by the numbers" for this drive.  The Sept/Oct drive is almost over, but there's still time to send in blocks if you want to.  The Nov/Dec drive will be up over the weekend, so keep and eye out if you are anxious for a new block design :)

Covered in Love is a 501(c)(3) charity that donates quilts to patients dying in the hospital, over 600 so far! The Sept/Oct drive is going on now.  Check out the main post HERE if you want to get involved. 

 


Linking to  Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Finished or Not Friday

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing. What an stunning accomplishment! Can you imagine how much comfort these brought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE how Gail adapted the pattern to use up more scraps and Orphan Blocks, too!! I never thought about what hoops you might jump through to keep the laundered quilts "cat hair free, Kat." What an awesome "family photo" of the Winter Blues Quilt Drive quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail's quilts are just flat-out gorgeous! I love the bits of green moving through the blues, and oh! Those little surprise blocks and fussy cuts! Be still my heart! Many thanks to Gail for providing these wonderful tops, and for your steadfast work in getting them quilted, bound and finalized for giving!

    Thanks for sharing your method for keeping kitty hairs off the quilts. Quite ingenious! I might have to start using my dryer for extra storage now. And thanks for the shoutout about my video, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! I've been using my dryer as a place to keep freshly laundered quilts so they don't pick up dog hair before they get donated! I don't have the quantity to deal with that you do however. ;-) I love the surprise blocks in these quilts, like Louise said previously. I think these are some of my favorites I've seen come out of the block drives.

    ReplyDelete