Monday, September 2, 2019

Sept-Oct CiL Block Drive

Hello quilters, and welcome to the Fall 2019 Covered in Love block drive! For anyone who is newer around here, CiL runs block drives every 2 months to make quilts that be given to families in the hospital grieving the loss of a loved one.


For September/October we're making these bright and cheerful split nine patch blocks based on a tutorial from Jenny in my Nurture circle group. Anyone can participate in this drive and you can make as few or as many blocks as you like. Just follow the tutorial below and get them in the mail by the end of October. Email CoveredinLoveTx@gmail.com for the mailing address.


This tutorial makes (2) 12.5" blocks at a time. It's a great block for using up smaller pieces of fabric and scraps. Start by cutting:
  • (3) 5" yellow squares
  • (3) 5" red squares
  • (6) 4.5" low volume (mostly white/light) squares
  • (6) 4.5" "cool" colored (blue/purple/green) squares

Mark and diagonal line in pencil on the back of the yellow squares. Match each yellow square right sides together with a red square and sew 1/4" to both sides of the line. Then cut apart on the pencil line and press. Trim to 4.5".


Arrange the half square triangle blocks and other squares as shown into 9 patches, keeping the reds toward the low volume side and yellows toward the cool colors.   Sew together into a completed 9 patch and press.


(Edited to Add: View some finished quilts here)

That's it, simple block! It's essentially a giant half square triangle so there are infinite ways to arrange the blocks into quilts. Thanks to all of you who consistently participate in block drives! This is a major way that Covered in Love gets the quilts that we distribute in the hospital. Over 500 quilts have been given to mourning families in the past 4 years thanks to your support :)

12 comments:

  1. Very pretty block pattern. Getting busy sewing some for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to pick through my scrap pile to make something useful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SEW excited, Kat!! This is one of my favorite blocks to make. I can't WAIT to make one (or MORE) for Covered in Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in the UK. Instead of sewing blocks and wasting £££'s on postage, do you have a Paypal address where I could donate towards your campaign, to help with costs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fun block to work with. Love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited to start on some of these blocks for you. I jumped over to Jenny's link that you provided & saw so many different ways these blocks can be arranged in quilts. Thanks for all you do! 500 quilts means 500 families have been comforted during their grief. Thank you...thank you...thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great block! It's going to be fun to see that line of red and yellow triangles zooming across the quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a really neat block! I'll have to make a few!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have really had to search for yellow but have put a couple of blocks together and am now inspired to do some more. I love the idea of pulling these together and knowing that someone will really use them in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure am hoping to get some of these neat blocks made (& relieve my scarp bin of some of its members) but this time of you (weddings, weddings, weddings), who knows? I may have to send a top in later. Theses sure are cute, tho!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, I need to sew some of these blocks up this weekend. Thanks for sharing the link in your post - and the block drive is still ongoing, too. I usually come in at the tail end and hate to be late sending them. I assume it would be okay to give a shout out on my blog with a link back? ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have some finished quilt tops I am no longer interested in finishing. Would you like to have them? Could you please email me with the requirements to send them to you. Thank you! Roxana

    ReplyDelete