Wednesday, April 27, 2016

May Covered in Love Block Drive

Another month, another block for Covered in Love!  For anyone new around here, every month I host a block drive to benefit my pet charity, Covered in Love, which gives quilts to the families of patients who pass away in the hospital.  Anyone can participate in the block drives and make as many or as few blocks as you like.


This month we're making a very simple twist on a traditional nine patch block in a muted pastel color scheme.  Please consult the color palette guide below when selecting your fabrics.  If in doubt, go with more muted, pastel colors (really, that teal block in the upper right of mine is borderline too bright.  Saturated is ok, but it shouldn't be bright.)

sky blue, sea blue, true grey, buttercup yellow, light ash grey, off white

For each block you'll need (6) 2.5"x4.5" pieces and (3) 4.5"x8.5" pieces.  Hopefully you'll be able to cut mostly from scraps and not have to get into yardage.


Arrange as above into a tall nine patch and sew together in columns, rows, or blocks. Any which way you like to put them together is fine.

(Edited to Add: View finished quilts here)


Press, and that's it!  Easy does it.  Block should finish at 12.5" sq unfinished.  You can see some of our past block drive finishes here.  Thank you to the dedicated volunteers who continue to send in blocks every month, you guys are rock stars.  If YOU would like to help out with Covered in Love, I'd love that!  Leave a comment (make sure I can see your email address) or email me for the address to send donations.

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely color palette Kat! So peaceful and at the same time it makes one smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, this one will be a challenge for me. I don't know that I have any muted colors at all except the grey. But gosh these will make a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited! I thought I'd have to wait until tomorrow! As soon as I find my April blocks they will be in the mail.....(oops)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be pulling fabrics in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your winter inspiration photo Kat! I'l have to dig to see if I have the colors for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to donate some items to Covered in Love. I can't find your email address to write to you to get your mailing address.

    Thank you, Rosemarie Berg chuckberg66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I put 10 blocks in the mail this morning. Barbara W

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finally got my blocks out a few days ago...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally got my blocks out a few days ago...

    ReplyDelete